DataStage Client Slow response

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

chulett wrote:For example, my current project has 1,439 jobs and it just took 40 seconds to open a job there with 32 stages. And this is remote over VPN and cable. :wink:
:shock: wow, that example was something I was looking for. Our projects are small beans compared to that. thanks for your input!!
chulett wrote: In my experience, the two biggest offenders when looking into client side speed killers are 1) how heavily taxed the box hosting the DS server is and 2) the network. And the culprit usually turns to to be the network connectivity.
I was wondering if the "server side training" (from administrator) would show me anything useful for identifying network, or any other issues with the designer.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I think you mean "tracing". Probably not helpful. You need to get a network admin to look at what is going on with a Designer session when opening a job. We've pretty much eliminated a contentious server environment and now the focus is the network. Are there collisions, is your firewall causing problems, are there virus protection filters slowing things down, etc.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Just as a side note, I had an interesting experience the other week. I installed some software on a laptop at a customer site that uses roaming Windoze profiles. They gave me a workstation later in the week so I had two machines. When I logged onto the workstation, my roaming profile downloaded and I kept on working.

I didn't hook up the laptop to the network the next day because the workstation was all I needed. Every time I did anything in Windoze Explorer, Start Menu, Word, DataStage, whatever, I had about a 30 second delay. It was hugely frustrating so I turned on the laptop and worked the rest of the day on the laptop without problems.

The next day I came in, turned on the laptop, logged in to the workstation, and everything was fine. I used the workstation the rest of the day without problem, until near closing time. I packed up the laptop and tried to finish some things on the workstation, when again the 30 second hanging of Windoze started up again.

:idea:

Unpacked the laptop and hooked back to the network. Problem went away. Turned off laptop, problem came back.

:idea:

I spent about 20 minutes opening every short cut on the Start button and found that many of the short cuts pointed to UNC paths on the laptop (\\laptop\C$\Program Files blah blah blah). The roaming profile on the workstation was using shortcuts from the laptop, which means my workstation was running things off the laptop instead of the local drives. :x :x :x

After changing all of the short cuts to be just c:\blah blah blah everything was fine.

I hate Windoze. :twisted:
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle