How should we show recognition for time spent posting?

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

How should we show recognition for time spent, by our members, to answer posts?

1. Countdown timers for predefined levels of number of posts
6%
2. Periodicly top posters in addition to the overall top ten (like weekly/monthly top 10 posters)
59%
3. Recognition in our newsletter (as was previously done)
22%
4. Another way (please post your prefered method as a reply to this post)
13%

Total votes: 32

roy
Participant

How should we show recognition for time spent posting?

Post by roy »

Hi All,
Recently there have been several sugestions ment to encourage posters to post, as well as show recognition for those taking the time to help others on this site.

I was thinking what is the most prefered way we should use in your opinion?

If you have your own sugestion please vote 4 and post it as a reply to this post.

My aim in this post is to first find out the prefered method and later on try to acertain the prefered mannor in which our members prefer to implement that method.

thanks in advance for your time,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I vote for 1, 2 and 3.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Presumably the points mechanism records time spent constructing a reply. This should be factored in. It would be great if it included some mechanism to differentiate busy time from idle time, but I guess that's hoping for too much!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I thought the points was based on the length of the replies. Quotes and code don't seem to contribute to points. Time spent is not accurate as I often start a reply, go and do something else, then come back and finish it.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

I guess I'll take the ones choosing 4 without pointing to a new idea as ones joining Vincent's mixture sugestion :?: :!:

(thread hijacking alert :shock: , sorry couldn't help it you 2 :wink: )
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Quotes definitely do contribute; they restrict you to earning 3 points until and unless your reply gets quite long, when you can earn as many as - oooh - five points!!

I think there's a small increment for including code.

Thinks: must ask Walter.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
steele
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by steele »

I would expect that a little $$ compensation would help keep the top posters posting; expecially now that is costs $$ to view their posts!
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

I would expect that a little $$ compensation would help keep the top posters posting
I do not think top posters post for money.Top posters contribute to more than 80% of the total post even though there is no money involved in it.

--Balaji S.R
steele
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by steele »

It's obvious they don't post for monetary compensation but now that DSX receives $50/year from each "charter" member, why not share the wealth with those who really earn it! I.M.H.O.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Mainly because it costs more than that to buy the bandwidth. Dennis (Editor) has been paying for the last four years; his pocket deserves a break more than the posters deserve revenue.

It's still effectively a non-profit site. If revenue exceeds expenditure, it will be put back into "product" - development costs for the Server to Parallel Transition class is the first example.
whardeman

Post by whardeman »

I've posted here in response to these two polls. You can find the running Top 5 tallies on the right side of the front page just above the all-time Top Posters board.

Walter Hardeman, Webmaster