new FREE DataStage forum

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

ArndW wrote:Snip... I doubt that the profits from charging are going to put the DSXchange team into a luxury suite in Vegas.
Especially when the conference is in Anaheim next year. :D
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Seriously? I guess that "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" doesn't cut it anymore.
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

ArndW wrote:Seriously? I guess that "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" doesn't cut it anymore.
Our sales rep said that they would combine it with the big IBM conference for 2006.

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/servic ... c=a0008651
Shawn Ramsey

-- Douglas Adams
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If it is the case that the DS event is to be part of the IBM event.... we can imagine how many milliseconds will be spent on DataStage compared to teh other WebSphere products :(
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

ArndW wrote:If it is the case that the DS event is to be part of the IBM event.... we can imagine how many milliseconds will be spent on DataStage compared to teh other WebSphere products :(
Check out the link. There is like 4-5 conferences.
Shawn Ramsey

-- Douglas Adams
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Greg,

it seems you haven't been to Europe - the radio and TV services charge you a hefty annual fee if you even own a receving device, regardless of whether or not you use it.

I have a company, unrelated to this business, which has a website and we also have a T1 line (which we partially rent back out) and the hardware necessary to run a web server. If I factor in the time taken to maintain the system (and don't include the ongoing expensive external web designer costs) it still runs well over 1K$ per month. And we don't have the daily Mb traffic that this site has. Or the administrative overhead.

Just add the hardware costs of a small server, the software and domain hosting for heavy traffic and you'll see that $2500 won't last very long at all.

We all have a choice here and the members will vote with their access preferences - be it here or at the ADN network or at a Yahoo! group.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Still the largest FREE community-driven DataStage forum.

Post by kumar_s »

gmorey wrote: I wonder if the "top posters" (Inner Circle) knew, as they used this site over the last few years, that the free content and value they provided would be used to make money down the road. I don't know how large your bills are, but if they are so large that you must charge $50 or more for members to view the best content, then you might be paying too much to your ISP.

If you get 50 charter members at the special rate, that's $2500/year. Isn't that WAY over the administrative costs of a site like this? Will any money be distributed to the Inner Circle posters? Is this REALLY the BEST way to offset your costs?

How does radio stay in business? Should listeners pay the radio stations a yearly fee because the music is so good?

How would you feel if radio suddenly started charging a fee for the best songs?
Greg's point in short is to,
Compensate the running cost by giving tender to Commercial Ads, rather than Charter content :wink:
Should be worth if cirulated to Inner Circles. :wink:

-Kumar
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Did you see their paid ads at the top of the screen? Other than ads for transition training from the Inner Circle members, how many ads you see on DSXchange?

I'm finished with this discussion with you. You have descended into specifically ignoring answers and are spreading disinformation. Inner Circle members are not compensated at all, as repeatedly answered. Site costs have been discussed for almost two years now, with input requested from the community.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
whardeman

Post by whardeman »

Indeed, Ken has twice said he's done discussing this, which to me is indicative of a problem situation.

We do not need 9-10 threads on this topic. One will suffice, so I'm locking this topic and directing any further discussion on it to viewtopic.php?t=98147 .
Last edited by whardeman on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Clarification:
For those wondering about the odd way gmorey's posts are all showing in the first post, you can see my last post at the link Walter's post above points to.

Regards,
Forum's Moderator.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org