Grid Computing - donate spare CPU cycles to research

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Grid Computing - donate spare CPU cycles to research

Post by ArndW »

Instead of using your spare PC CPU cycles in generating 3 dimension backgrounds that wander across the screen or create some virtual fishtank, I'd like to recommend looking at the world community grid pages and perhaps installing their grid client on your PC.

Several computing projects run concurrently and my spare cycles are all going towards AIDs research. Even though there is no reward apart from that warm-and-fuzzy feeling of having done something worthwhile without any effort or cost, if you do decide to join in this project you can associate yourself with the DataStagers team. Who knows, perhaps some of the computing cycles from this group might be the ones to find an appropriate chemical in the search for something to stop this epidemic.
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

Happy to join the DataStagers team.

Will set up the software when I get home today.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Great news. I once added some cpu time to the SETI project and thought it was a great idea, but this is more productive. The software is small and does a good job of using up the CPU, but at least it does slow down when anything else is going on. It would be nice to get a DataStage group together that contributes time - especially as the URL link is back to this site :roll:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Cool :D
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The DataStagers team now has 4 members and is already ranked in cumulative team position #5,543 out of 8,555 teams after less than a week.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Grr won't let me log in :?
I'll try again when I have time to figure out the problem.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What's happening, Roy? The DataStagers are racking up the points; join now before it's too late :) :shock:
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hold your horses pard :wink:
I'm in.
Though I have no time to figure out how to limit execution times,resources and so on besides giving a 60 minutes snooze option :roll:

Nor how to turn my computing to the HIV project rather then the other one oh well :roll:

(ok after the cycle was over it failed and turned over to the Fight Aids Project)

IHTH Arnd :)
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Roy,

Thanks for joining! I initially got a bit worried about the system performance when I saw my CPU hit 100% and thought about using the CPU "choke" they have. But in reality is just replaces the normal backstop program that runs on Windows, but that one doesn't show up on the CPU meter. So even though it looks like it is stealing resources, the couple of minor timing tests that I've done on my machine show that all of my programs run at the same speed as before.

What I did notice is that my CPU fan now runs all time since the processor is actually doing something all the time, and that the same applies to my notebook, where the fan now occasionally kicks in for a minute or so every half hour. In the forums I saw someone (with too much time on their hands) post a thread that computed the extra power usage and concluded that, using American electricity prices, it cost less than $3 extra per year to run the process :) Also, I have a dual core CPU and this program is single-threaded so it only ends up using 50% CPU (but I have a VMWare virtual machine running which also does number crunching so I still end up with 100% CPU usage - but get to process double as much data.

You can login to your userid on the web and configure which projects should be computed and also what your user resource profile should look like.

-Arnd.

p.s. the DataStagers Team now have 6 members and have returned 177 results that puts us into team rank 3,881!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The DataStagers Team grid computing still only has 6 members out of the over 10,000 available DSXchangers - but we are cranking away at research and already have logged a cumulative 70 days of computing time and are ranked as team #3,404. You can run this grid computing program as a screen saver or background program and donate all that spare computing capacity to a good cause. And since we have winter (in the northern hemisphere) it also helps to defray heating costs 8)
djm
Participant

Post by djm »

and then there were 7
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I saw that! :D

Anyone know how to see who makes up the team?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
djm
Participant

Post by djm »

Look at this thread? :wink:

man paste indeed!

David
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Craig,

click on the grid computing icon in my signature line, then the web page has a couple of options on different ways to view the team results; most of them will give you the list of members.

D- sounds like the title of a Genesis Album ;) Thanks.