XML functionality TX vs SOa

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

XML functionality TX vs SOa

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Forum,

My client will be processing some XML files as part of batch processes. They have no need for real time processing or web services or messaging functionality.

It would seem that both TX and SOA extensions have XML parsing/transformation features.

1. If my goal is only to process XML files for batch processes, will I require the TX product, or with the XML transformer stage, the XML input and XML output stages be sufficient?

2. Is there a subset of XML documents that cannot be parsed/transformed in DataStage Soa Extensions that can be parsed in TX?

3. Are there any significant performance issues in processing XML files in Soa Extension's stages versus TX XML functionality?

Quite simply, I don't want to have to buy TX if Soa Extensions functionality will suffice.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can't speak to the TX side, but XML processing comes with the base Server product, not the SOA Edition. SOA adds the ability to run Server jobs in real time by exposing them as a Web Service.

You'll see comments in the Server forum about the 'speed' of XML parsing as it's not the speediest solution on the planet. Most of the parsing we've had to do has been handled just fine by the stages themselves but occasionally we've had to fall back on a custom stylesheet. Haven't found anything we haven't been able to handle yet, but it's all been pretty basic stuff, nothing exotic by any streatch. I think it's fine for 'smaller' files but you may want to consider another tool for large files - and large could mean millions of records. I can't speak towards how running on a Windows platform might effect that.

You would be better off posting this in the TX forum or perhaps there and the Server forum so you can get more play from both sides. With no need to process in real time, SOA plays no part in the equation.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers