Write a Book!

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Write a Book!

Post by rwierdsm »

...so when is the 'inner circle' going to write a book, entitled something like "DataStage - what you REALLY need to know to become a DataStage developer"...

Seriously, about 10 years ago I was doing programming using a product called SQL Windows. The documentation that came with the product, while copious, did not really tell you how to use the product. A bunch of users, similar in nature to some of the frequent posters on this site, got together to write such a book. Gotcha's, tips, hints, FAQ info was all included in this book and a lot of us bought it. I think this product is way overdue for such a publication.

My 2 cents worth...

Rob Wierdsma
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

As with myself, you end up writing about 10 different versions, each absolutely applicable to the customer site on which the tool was deployed. Ultimately, you cannibalize each document for each engagement. You also then write a bunch of little white papers describing hash file usage, SCDs, etc.

The problem I guess is that you have different methods for using the tool:

1. Vanilla Kimball data warehouse
2. Inmon CIF data warehouse
3. Stove-pipe data marts
4. Intergalactic Death Star ODS
5. Data graveyards (get data out of every system and just dump it into RDBMS)
6. System migrations (retire old mainframe and move data to new ERP)
7. Data bridging different systems (realtime, batch, daily, etc)
8. Data extracts tool
9. Data pump

You really do things differently for all of these.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Funny thread - I've been toying with the idea of getting a "DataStage for Dummies" book out. The publisher wants a guaranteed minimum sales figure far in excess of the number of DS users out there though, so it would remain a niche player.

The problem is really not putting together a good book (which is not easy) but getting that publisher. It's like putting together a movie - the product itself is only the tip of the iceberg.

Perhaps a full-glossy book with lots of pictures of smiling bikini-clad beauties pointing at flip-charts with drawings of data models interspersed between buzzwords would sell.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

When Ray chimes in on this thread, I wonder if the old roadblock is still in place. From what I recall, he has basically written a book on the subject but has constantly run afoul of Ascential's lawyers who have threatened to sue the pants off him if he publishes anything. :shock: Something like that, anywho.

Arnd - can I get an advanced copy to... um, proofread for you?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Yeah, it's hard to write a book about a GUI code generator when you're prevented from showing screenshots of said GUI.
Kenneth Bland

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Can Ascential/IBM actually legally prevent screenshots from being used? I had no idea that they could be "coprighted" as such; just that there are restrictions on the use (i.e. using them to pretend to be the author or having the same icons and screen in a competing product). There go all my plans on becoming a New York times bestseller author...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ascential's lawyers claimed to have copyright over any screen shot of any of their products. I attempted to determine where the boundaries are (e.g. a telnet window showing a ps report showing DataStage processes) but they've been coy (silent) when it comes to details.
Yes, as far as I am aware, the roadblock is still in place; however I've been given a contact in IBM who specializes in supporting product-related publications. So, who knows?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

ray.wurlod wrote:Ascential's lawyers claimed to have copyright over any screen shot of any of their products.
?!?!?!?

So what about all the authors of the bijillion books on Oracle, SQL Server, (add your favourite product here)... Do they all have to jump through the same hoops in order to get books published?

Further more, what has Ascential/IBM got to lose, are they afraid that such a book is going to compete with their product documentation?

Seems a little odd to me.

Rob W.
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

rwierdsm wrote:Seems a little odd to me.
Yep.
Kenneth Bland

vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Actually with IBM buying Ascential there is now a MUCH easier way to get a DataStage book published which bypasses all the legal problems. I've been toying with the idea of writing a certification guide for the Hawk release and the mythical Hawk certification exam. If anyone is looking to publish a book with more then one contributing author then send me a private message and we can start up a secure forum. Most of us are too busy to write a book on our own.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I'm sure IBM wouldn't mind, but you're still dealing with Ascential. Just to get approval, how much editorial/final say rights will you have to sign away?
Kenneth Bland

vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think your only options are self publishing, which requires a lot of goodwill from Ascential/IBM, or IBM Press. I think IBM Press will want to publish some type of Information Integration book after the Hawk release. You would assume that if IBM Press are taking the book through the normal proposal review and peer review processes this would appease the Ascential lawyers.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

<hope>Surely IBM already had enough lawyers and didn't need Ascential's? </hope>
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Editor

Post by Editor »

I have started another idea of this topic at the follow link

viewtopic.php?t=96147

Not to pirate good ideas, but those that choose to weigh in, please do.

Dennis
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

That link does not work.
The topic or post you requested does not exist