Sequential File Reading Mainframe data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srikanthd1978
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sequential File Reading Mainframe data

Post by srikanthd1978 »

hello all,

I am reading a Mainframe file thru Sequential file stage . The Format of the sequential file is specified as .. Charcater Set is EBCIDIC and the data format is Binary. I am reading a Char(40) or PIC X(40) field and strangely all the exclamation '!' characters on the Mainframe are being translated as Right Bracket ']' characters..

Example:

Source Data is 'Hello !' in the Mainframe

It is being Read as 'Hello ]' in Datastage..

Does anyone have any idea whats going on ??

Thanks..
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Have you tried using the Complex Flat File stage? It has support for text/Binary formats and ASCII/EBCDIC formats.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have NLS enabled and, if so, what client character map are you using?

It seems odd that "Hello" is being converted accurately but "!" is not. Are you sure it's really "!"? (Check with a hex editor both in the EBCDIC source and the ASCII target.) Could be a strange problem with the data browser; what output do you get in a text file?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
benny.lbs
Participant

Post by benny.lbs »

I have encountered similar case too, it is not "!", but ">".

What 's worse is it didn't convert to another character, but lead to incorrect mapping

NLS was enabled, with "Project default (ISO-8859-1)" in client.
ray.wurlod wrote:Do you have NLS enabled and, if so, what client character map are you using?

It seems odd that "Hello" is being converted accurately but "!" is not. Are you sure it's really "!"? (Check with a hex editor both in the EBCDIC source and the ASCII target.) Could be a strange problem with the data browser; what output do you get in a text file?
srikanthd1978
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by srikanthd1978 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Do you have NLS enabled and, if so, what client character map are you using?

ray,

I have checked the EBCIDIC source and it is a '!' . When i write this data to a Text file. its again converted to ']' charcater.
I do not have admin privilages..how else can i check weather NLS is enabled and about which Char Map i am using ??

Thanks in advance...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You don't need administrator privileges, but you do need to use the Administrator client. When on the Projects tab there is an NLS button.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srikanthd1978
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by srikanthd1978 »

ray.wurlod wrote:You don't need administrator privileges, but you do need to use the Administrator client. When on the Projects tab there is an NLS button.

ray,

I checked this and NLS is not enabled. The default Char Set is UNICODE unless i am mistaken.

thanks