Add a "DataStage Project Stories" Folder

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Add a "DataStage Project Stories" Folder

Post by ArndW »

I would enjoy seeing a new Forum on this site into which posters can put down some of their DataStage achievements - not necessarily as personal ones, but showing what results they have achieved with DataStage in their projects recently. I for one love to read about what has been done, how it was achieved and perhaps also how long it took to produce and run.

I hope to hear from the other forumites on whether or not they think this is a good idea...

What triggered it was something we just finished here / perhaps an example post to the forum:

Transferred 3.5 Terabytes from mainframe DB/2 to AIX Oracle using DataStage PX. This included new partitioning algorithms, null handling and data conversions and some column re-mapping; every single column had to be modified; a total of 350 tables and about 22,000 columns. Instead of writing a job per table manually, we wrote a Server Job which in turn created one PX job per Table using table-driven rules and exceptions (i.e. DB/2 Column called "YEAR", Oracle called "IDYEAR"). Total time for this ended up being 2 person-consulting-weeks; the DBAs had originally specd this (using database dumps and custom SQL) at over 1 month plus 1500 hours runtime (that's over 60 days!) :shock:
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think is a great idea.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

D'you think we (oops, I mean the dudes who fund this site) should sell such success stories to IBM or whomever?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I think that the forum should also contain disasters/horror stories - it should show both sides. It shouldn't be a product-bashing area - that wouldn't happen too often, since the reasons for the failure are seldom in the product.

I do agree that IBM/Ascential will use the "good" stories but that information shouldn't be secret and it will (hopefully) return back to us in the form of added business.
kumar_j
Participant

Post by kumar_j »

HI friends it will be a good idea to share the sucess stories so that for a new comer to data stage like me can go through that and can get solutions for the problems that we will come accross in the project implementation.
NICE :!: when can we expect that folder :?: Mr ray should take the initiative to become this thing into reality we hope that is going to come to reality soon
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I guess the "DSXchange Testimonials Forum" which already exists is as good a place as any for this kind of things!

Though I don't think it's a place to detail any issues as you think.
kumar_j wrote:HI friends it will be a good idea to share the sucess stories so that for a new comer to data stage like me can go through that and can get solutions for the problems that we will come accross in the project implementation.
NICE :!: when can we expect that folder :?: Mr ray should take the initiative to become this thing into reality we hope that is going to come to reality soon
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I too prefer the testimonials forum as the appropriate place.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.