Exception Handler Email Notification - Job Status

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

paule
Participant

Exception Handler Email Notification - Job Status

Post by paule »

I have a sequence job that runs 3 server jobs in succession. I am testing error handling and have added an Exception Handler that has an Email Notification stage connected to it. The email has the option selected to send job status with it.

I made the second job fail by having it in a state where it cannot run. When I run the sequence, it executes the Exception Handler stage and sends an email.

The issue is that the status information only shows that the first server job completed OK. It says nothing about the second job being in a state where it cannot run.

What can I do to have it show that the second job requires attention? Obviously, I do not want to hard-code anything in the email message since it could be any of the 3 that could fail.
wnogalski
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by wnogalski »

One solution is to add an 'Abort' link to each job and connect them to the SendMail stages which will send the statuses of the jobs.
Regards,
Wojciech Nogalski
paule
Participant

Post by paule »

wnogalski wrote:One solution is to add an 'Abort' link to each job and connect them to the SendMail stages which will send the statuses of the jobs.
Thanks. I had thought about that, but had hoped that I wouldn't have to do that much work.
It would seem that the job status would show the final status of the job after the second job failed.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The 'old fashioned' way to do it is to run an Otherwise trigger from each job to a single Sequencer stage set to 'Any'. From there you can link to a Notification Activity stage and it will include the status information from all jobs that have run up to that point, including the failed job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

paule wrote:It would seem that the job status would show the final status of the job after the second job failed.
Sure sounds like it should work that way. Perhaps you could open a support case with Ascential and see if there is a fix available. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Thanks. I had thought about that, but had hoped that I wouldn't have to do that much work.
If you use Copy/Paste, it's not really a lot of work.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

Cut and paste may make it not a lot of work, but on a decent sized sequence it sure does clutter up the landscape! To me, that is one of main benefits of the way the exception handler works now. It makes the flow simpler and centralizes error handling.

What we do in our emails is simply identify the sequence the email is coming from and let the recipient find the offending job via the Director. Not very sophisticated perhaps, but that person is probably going to have to go searching anyway, so it's not a big deal. Besides, I have never found the job status alone to be of much use anyway.

Larry