Line Terminators

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JezT
Participant

Line Terminators

Post by JezT »

I have created a file where one of the fields is a CDU Number which we have formatted to a PIC COMP field. Within some of these values will be the EBCDIC value of 10 (<LF>). I have handled this within DS by changing the "Contains terminators" value within the file to YES for the relevant field.

However, the problem lies when we transfer the file by Connect Direct to the mainframe and it doesn't ignore the <LF>, rather it actions it and splits the corresponding line into two.

I have seen other topics on the Forum where files are being received on the mainframe that contain this character and there has been advice to use Ereplace to change the <LF> character to something else.

Is it possible to do this within DS so that when my file is transferred to the mainframe, the lines are not corrupted by the <LF> but if I then convert the PIC COMP field back into an integer, it will be the same as what I started with ?

Cheers
Jez T
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sounds like you are not doing a binary transfer. Make sure you get your transfer program to do a binary (rather than an ascii) transfer and you should be ok.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello again JezT - I'm following your posts around the forum :wink:

What Craig said is correct - you should find the settings to have the transfer done via DirectConnect in a binary mode. This is most likely easy to do (once you find the switch) since binary transfers are more common than text ones which do the ASCII/EBCDIC conversion. I have always found that going back to the simple basics works best; I have yet to find a box which doesn't have a FTP program of some sort. If the host doesn't have an FTP server running then it will still have an FTP client. All you need to do from the host is "CONNECT <machine>" (with UserId/Password), then "cd <path_to_file_directory>", "BINARY" and "GET <filename>". This shouldn't fail to work.