DS_JOBS corrupted

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

supportdei13
Participant

DS_JOBS corrupted

Post by supportdei13 »

Hello

I have a problem with a project, i can't open it. I have the problem :
Project projetDatastage is not set up for DataStage use :
Cannot open file DSR_JOBS.

I have use the program uvfixfile with UVFIXFILE DS_JOBS FIX, and it's made any change in my case (i have the error).

then have anyone a idea to solve my problem.

I have noticed that i have 2 directories I_DS_JOBS (with no files) and I_DS_JO00 (with 4 files). And i have another project that works, and the directorie I_DS_JO00 doesn't exist and in the directorie I_DS_JOBS they are files. Then is it the reason why the UVFIXFILE DS_JOBS FIX doesn't do any changes in my case ?

thanks to help me
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Sorry I can't help with a solution. But, note that you fixed DS_JOBS while your error is for DSR_JOBS. I don't think these are the same thing.

Mike
supportdei13
Participant

re DS_JOBS corrupted

Post by supportdei13 »

Yes it's right that my error say DSR_JOBS and that looks like DS_JOBS.

But i have before do the fix, do this command : UVFIXFILE DS_JOBS and the result say that the file is corrupt :

WARNING: Internal file corruption detected during file open!
File must be repaired, possible truncation.
hsize: 8192
bsize: 8192
fsize: 28672
Error initializing AK file "/dsrec1/projet/cg/bin/cg/I_DS_JO00/INDEX.00
1".
Warning: Unable to set GROUP LOCKS on DS_JOBS.

Beginning TRACE of DS_JOBS.
TRACE of DS_JOBS completed.

Scanning overflow buffers.
Scan complete.

5 group(s) processed.
6 group buffer(s) processed.
177 record(s) processed.
Number of data bytes = 8248.

Then it's why i apply the command UVFIXFILE DS_JOBS FIX.

thanks to have read my case
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I problem was in the index. I would get everyone out of DataStage and run DS.TOOLS and reindex your files. Usually if you corrupted one file then others are corrupted and you do not know it. Sometimes Universe can repair these on the fly but you may get bad results. Lets say it can repair an index but one folder drops off the list. Now all jobs in that folder do not appear in the Designer. The jobs are still in the files but the index ignores them. Not good.

You should never get corrupted files unless you have some kind of power failure or you are killing processes improperly. Most power failures in my experience do not corrupt files. Maybe one out of 5 does. You can lose all kinds of work if these files are corrupted. Stop everything and always fix these first.
Mamu Kim
supportdei13
Participant

I have solved my problem

Post by supportdei13 »

Thanks all

the problem comes from the index.
Then i say to you how i have solve my problem (in case you have the same problem as me)

> i'm connect to my unix server
> i load my dsenv ( i'm go the repertory of the datastage server)
> then i'm going to the repertory of the project that have the problem ( you must be in the project that have the problem)
> i run the file uvsh (that are located in the repertoy bin in the repertory of the datastage server)
> then you have a new prompt
> In this prompt you must write this :
DS.REINDEX ALL
> then tape ENTER
> When finished, enter QUIT
> Now, your problem is fix ( you must test it with open a datastage product on the project that have the problem)
> That's all (in my case)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The reason that "fix" worked is that DS.REINDEX drops and re-creates the index. Dropping a corrupt index and building a clean one ought to fix most index problems!

Incidentally, you can use DS.REINDEX against a specific repository table, for example DS.REINDEX DS_JOBS.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

First, if your getting excessive locking, "job designed not found", "can't save DS OBJECTS" and all of those weird messages then its more than likely pointing towards a Job design issue. An issue where there are more locks being generated than being released.

For example, if you have Jobs using the "enable lock for updates" output selection on a Hash File Stage then immediately change to "enabled" or preferably "disabled". Please do not use the enable lock for updates selection anywhere (refer to to the DataStage Server Guide for details).

Also, never cancel a Job by allowing developers to Kill or Kill -9 which I see too many people revert towards.

If the locks get too much for a specific Project to handle then unlocking may not work anymore and actually that Project would shutdown. At this point you need to clear all shared memory segments (root only) by using DS.Tools, unlocking, and flushing all orphaned processes.

The bottomline I find is if excessive locking occurs its how a Job was designed.
aesguerra
Participant

Post by aesguerra »

Hi,

We currently have something similar to this problem, difference is that we cannot access the job designs in our development (no design information). Suspect that this happened because our disk usage hit 99%. Tried rebuilding the index but did not work. When I use the LIST DS_JOBOBJECTS command it tells me this:

"J\1976\ROOT" not found.
"J\1976\V0" not found.
"J\1976\V0S0P1" not found.
"J\1976\V0S6P2" not found.
"J\1976\V0S8P2" not found.

Also, when i try to use the UVFIXFILE command it gives me something this message

ID "J\1976\V0S6P2" doesn't hash to primary group 1.

Would appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Thanks.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think you hit 100%. At that point you corrupted your DS_JOBOBECTS hash file. Sometimes it can fix itself but you lost some records. After you run UVFIXFILE then always reindex like above. Some job designs may be lost. Hopefully you have good backups. I would try to compile your jobs. This should tell you which jobs were lost when this hash file got corrupted.
Mamu Kim