Basic/Universe ???

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sharpy
Participant

Basic/Universe ???

Post by Sharpy »

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and so far looks very good. I am also new to Datastage and have recently been asked about Datastage basic. Not 100% sure I know much about the Basic/Universe stuff, can anyone help?

Sharpy :? :?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

Don't worry too much about that yet. Get familiar with the graphical design metaphor. Big picure stuff; draw a picture of the ETL that you want to occur, and fill in the details to specify exactly where the data are.

Take the training classes; they will guide you through building expressions in the Transformer stage and elsewhere.

Later, when building Routines, you will find that these expressions are the building blocks of the programming language.

UniVerse is a database product, now owned and marketed by IBM (of whom you may have heard!). DataStage was originally developed as a UniVerse application; there was a point in history (2001) when the DataStage Engine and UniVerse went their separate ways, however they are still very very similar. This particular database has singular advantages for storing DataStage design objects; the details of this assertion don't really need to concern you for a considerable time yet.

Use and play with the product (set up a "sandbox" project), ask questions here and on Ascential Developer Net, and do take the training classes. Enjoy the experience!

Incidentally, how did you hear about DSXChange?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Baldmartyr
Participant

Post by Baldmartyr »

Moving to Ascential DataStage Server Edition forum.
David Baldwin
Former DSXchange Webmaster