best place to discuss ProfileStage

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastage
Participant

best place to discuss ProfileStage

Post by datastage »

Currently there are forums for MetaData, Data Quality, and Data Integration. ProfileStage (formerly MetaRecon) does obtain metadata to allow the data analyst to improve data quality and to benefit data integration projects.

It seems ProfileStage is most closely related to Data Quality, so discussion can go on there, but what if there is a question related to PS's data integration functionality?

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best to have a forum dedicated to ProfileStage or do the generalized areas of MetaData, Data Quality, and Data Integration still work best. Any thoughts Dennis/David?
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
Baldmartyr
Participant

Post by Baldmartyr »

It makes perfect sense to me to have a separate forum for ProfileStage. I'll monitor this post for a few days to see if other ideas/opinions arise.
David Baldwin
Former DSXchange Webmaster
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'd vote for a separate forum for ProfileStage. It has its own set of techniques and its own set of issues.
The only really difficulty, then - and it's a difficulty for Ascential too - is where to post questions about Quality Manager (oops, Audit Stage), which overlaps Profile Stage and Quality Stage in its functionality. In this case I would hesitate to have yet another forum, and hope that posters will choose the appropriate forum intelligently.
So naming forums by function rather than by product may be a better plan. Latch on to the "three pillars" model and use the functionality descriptions from there, perhaps.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

Baldmartyr,

does this BB allow for forums to be underneath forums? For instance, could you have an AuditStage forum underneath a ProfileStage forum that would always display at the top? I wasn't sure if there could be forums underneath other forums/folders. And if so, then would if even be possible to have the SAME AuditStage forum displayed under both ProfileStage and QualityStage?

If there is a way to do this type of hierachical foldering then we could think out a good way to intersect the Product vs. Concept forums. Otherwise there will probably always be dilemmas, Ascential has gotten so diverse these days!

I would assume AuditStage doesn't really need its own forum since it wouldn't likely have many posts, but its always nice to organize like posts together on the other hand rather then having them scattered about

Thanks
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
Baldmartyr
Participant

Post by Baldmartyr »

does this BB allow for forums to be underneath forums?
Bacially PHPBB supports categories and forums. An example of a category is 'Data Concepts'. Any number of forums might exist under a category. For example the category 'Data Concepts' includes the forums 'DataStage', 'DataStage TX "Mercator"',
'Archive of DataStage Users @ Oliver.com', etc. Unfortunately neither categories nor forums can be nested.
would if even be possible to have the SAME AuditStage forum displayed under both ProfileStage and QualityStage
Though I've not looked in to this I'm sure that with some customization it would be possible.
David Baldwin
Baldmartyr
Participant

Post by Baldmartyr »

The ProfileStage forum is now open.
David Baldwin