Uploading files or images?

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Jim Divoky
Participant

Uploading files or images?

Post by Jim Divoky »

Where does one upload screen images, code examples, etc? I'd like to see a hierarchy of folders for user submissions which could be solutions, papers, code, user group info, etc.

Jim Divoky
EC Solutions, Inc.
EAI, EDI, & SAP R/3 Consultancy
PO Box 14861
Knoxville, TN 37914
330-606-6826
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Jim

I think that is a great idea. A how to section where basics are explained like setting up ODBC or surrogate keys. We keep answering questions about dates or specific things. We keep telling people to do a search for DS.TOOLS. There should be a folder for these FAQ.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
Baldmartyr
Participant

Community Enhancements

Post by Baldmartyr »

Jim,

Your ideas are excellent. To understand how we hope to implement these ideas and more read my article on Community Enhancements in the November newsletter or view the Roadmap.
David Baldwin
Former DSXchange Webmaster
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:roll: Right now we are trying to resolve an issue with Ascential, in which they assert that ANY screen shot is their copyright and/or intellectual property. Negotiations have been taking place (with huge hiatuses on their part) since last May.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I've been doing watercolor paintings of my job design templates to get around the lawyering. I hope to scan them and post them soon. In the meantime, I've got a Crayola sketch series ready to go. 8)
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ken

Dude, you need to hang out with some adults.

Kim.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Ken is on to something here. Instead of using screen shots why don't we draw the DataStage forms with crayons, I don't think Ascential would claim copyright over that!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've been doing some work on an Etch-a-Sketch, but it keeps rebooting when inverted! Grey screen of death? :lol:
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Actually, in all seriousness, the icons for the job design pallet are bitmap files in the client folder. A long time ago I messed with a customer and painted him some new bitmap files and plopped them into his machine when he wasn't around.

Any existing job designs could be viewed under a different set of bitmaps for the stage icons. Could this possibly fudge the image enough to make Ascential happy? I don't know. I do know that Visio is an option, it just will suck to remap a job into Visio just to illustrate a job design point.
Kenneth Bland

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ken

You need Snagit. Ask the webmaster on this site. It is very cool.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

ray.wurlod wrote::roll: Right now we are trying to resolve an issue with Ascential, in which they assert that ANY screen shot is their copyright and/or intellectual property. Negotiations have been taking place (with huge hiatuses on their part) since last May.
It's lawyers, not technology that's the current problem. :evil:
Kenneth Bland

Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

kduke wrote:Ken

You need Snagit. Ask the webmaster on this site. It is very cool.

Kim.
I used that tool until I realized that I could just hit print screen, and open a word documentation and paste it.

But I'm not sure how to 'map' the images to Visio... is it something within SnagIT that could do that?

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Being a bit of a technology Luddite, I also use Print Screen (or Alt Print Screen), and tidy the image if necessary using that high-tech utility MS Paint! Works for me! Then paste into Word, or Powerpoint, or Acrobat.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kcbland wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote::roll: Right now we are trying to resolve an issue with Ascential, in which they assert that ANY screen shot is their copyright and/or intellectual property. Negotiations have been taking place (with huge hiatuses on their part) since last May.
It's lawyers, not technology that's the current problem. :evil:
On 4 Nov 03, I had the following from Ascential counsel:
Received your email below. I will respond shortly.
That, apart from salutations, was the entire message. :x
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

ray.wurlod wrote:Being a bit of a technology Luddite, I also use Print Screen (or Alt Print Screen), and tidy the image if necessary using that high-tech utility MS Paint! Works for me! Then paste into Word, or Powerpoint, or Acrobat.
SnagIt is way better. It can save in gif or jpg or any format you want. It can do a 1000 things and it only costs $29.

Kim.
Mamu Kim