Moving the VERSION Project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moving the VERSION Project

Post by chulett »

We've been kicked off our development server and migrated to a new box on Saturday. Everything went smoothly with the exception of the dreaded VERSION project. I forgot about the extra hash files it uses for all of its ancillary information. :(

I found this old post on the same subject here, which confirmed my rememberance of the names of the hash files it uses.

I just want to double-check the procedure. We exported the VERSION project, including read-only items, then imported it to the new host/project. I can see the jobs in Manager but VC comes up blank. Is all that I literally have to do is copy the hash files to the new location, or do I need to do something special first to precreate them, get VOC entries, something? It seems like it can't be as simple as just copying the hash directories/files... :shock: can it? :lol:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cmueller
Participant

Post by cmueller »

In addtion to copying the hash files, don't forget to copy the DICT for each file ( i.e., D_APM.VERSION).
You will need to create VOC entries for the three files, for example for APM.VERSION :

Line 1: F
Line 2: APM.VERSION
Line 3: D_APM.VERSION
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks Chris (it is Chris, yes?) but you've lost me a little with your example. Is this an example of using ED from the Universe shell? I thought "F" was the command to "File" or save results. :? Could you flesh it out more for me? Sorry...
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can use ED, you can use REVISE, you can use SETFILE (see other thread), you can use INSERT (which you may find a little more familiar).

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO VOC (F0,F1,F2,F3)
VALUES ('APM.VERSION', 'F', 'APM.VERSION', 'D_APM.VERSION');
To determine the updatable column names for VOC:

Code: Select all

LIST DICT VOC WITH TYPE = "D"
(note that this is not SQL)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Craig

There are 2 commands I find useful when moving projects around.

1. CLEAN.ACCOUNT
2. UPDATE.ACCOUNT

Clean account will create VOC entries for hash files in the OS which do not have VOC entries. It will also clear &PH& and other things. Do NOT let it delete VOC entries. It will prompt you.

UPDATE.ACCOUNT will fix all the verbs in the VOC. It will not fix the DataStage compiled BASIC verbs. You can do that by q pointing to a good profect and copy over all the bad VOC entries. That is a little more compilcated to explain. If you need it then let me know.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

For the record, here is what was involved in moving the project:

After doing the import of the exported VERSION project on the new server, the first connection to Version Control (the one where it comes up "empty") created empty versions of all of the hash files it uses, along with all the VOC and Dictionary goodies:

APM.BATCH
APM.VERSION
APM.VERSION.XREF
APM_BP

After that, it was a simple matter of copying the contents of these hash files from the old server to the new server.
-craig

rivajtp
Participant

Post by rivajtp »

Hi all,

I had same problem with version control and after moving specified hash files I see jobs in version control now.I didn't update any entries to the voc file for these hash files.So is that fine or do I get any problems in production after promoting the jobs.

Thanks
rivaj
Rivaj T P
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Connecting to the new version project created the hashed files and VOC entries, making it safe to simply move over the 'old' hashed files afterwards.
-craig