oconv errors in NLS mode

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

oconv errors in NLS mode

Post by admin »

Hi,

Im facing a problem Im not able to resolve and will appreciate any help.

I have data coming from different countries and using appropriate maps to handle most of the data correctly. But sometimes I get characters that are not in currently active map and I get "DSD.BCIPut call to OCONV failed." warnings.

I would like to avoid these warnings but need to load record anyway. So Im looking for some maybe iconv/oconv option that will replace these characters with some other (let say ? will be fine). Something similar to "MCP" conversion code? Or maybe some combination of conversion functions? It is possible that some other solution could work. May be related to customized map? At least Im not able to find map that will work in all my cases.

Im using DataStage 3.6 on Windows NT 4.0

Thanks for your help

Vardan

--
Vardan Aroustamian
vaar@geocities.com
vardan_aroustamian@non.hp.com
(408) 343-5485
admin

Post by admin »

Try investigating the Oconv(data,"NLSmap") conversion, checking the value returned via the Status() function to see whether conversion works.

-----Original Message-----
From: AROUSTAMIAN,VARDAN (Non-HP-Cupertino,ex1) [mailto:vardan_aroustamian@non.hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 16 May 2001 07:14
To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
Subject: oconv errors in NLS mode

Hi,

I have data coming from different countries and using appropriate maps to handle most of the data correctly. But sometimes I get characters that are not in currently active map and I get "DSD.BCIPut call to OCONV failed." warnings.

I would like to avoid these warnings but need to load record anyway. So Im looking for some maybe iconv/oconv option that will replace these characters with some other (let say ? will be fine). Something similar to "MCP" conversion code? Or maybe some combination of conversion functions? It is possible that some other solution could work. May be related to customized map? At least Im not able to find map that will work in all my cases.

Thanks for your help

Vardan

--
Vardan Aroustamian
vaar@geocities.com
(408) 343-5485
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you, Ray!

This is exactly what I was trying to find. I didnt know that
Oconv(data,"NLSmap")
is able to replace invalid characters with ?. Actually in documentation I have it is mentioned only in "UniVerse NLS Guide" in description of return values of
Status() function.

Anyway, I appreciate your help

Regards

Vardan

Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 6:40 PM
Subject: RE: oconv errors in NLS mode

Try investigating the Oconv(data,"NLSmap") conversion, checking the value returned via the Status() function to see whether conversion works.

From: AROUSTAMIAN,VARDAN (Non-HP-Cupertino,ex1) [mailto:vardan_aroustamian@non.hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 16 May 2001 07:14
Subject: oconv errors in NLS mode

Hi,

Thanks for your help

Vardan

--
Vardan Aroustamian
vaar@geocities.com
(408) 343-5485