Export/Import environment variables from the command line

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

skathaitrooney
Participant

Export/Import environment variables from the command line

Post by skathaitrooney »

Hello Experts, i want to know if somebody has nice techniques to export DataStage project environment variables from the command line which could then be imported into a target datastage project?

Our team is currently in a phase of migrating DataStage projects from 11.5 to 11.7 version and we do not want to export and import manually via the DSAdministrator client.

I thought of copying DSParams from the 11.5 version to the 11.7 version directly. It works pretty ok to be honest but i dont think IBM encourages to do that,

Does anybody have better ideas on this one ?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I consider creating environment variables one by one a manual process. The export and import options in the Administrator client save a lot of time. That's the method we are using to migrate now. It's pretty simple work to do and is only done once per project.

The dsadmin command line tool may have the options you could use.

Commands for administering projects
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... Stage.html

That said, I suspect that in the time it takes to research automation, someone could quickly and easily grind through and export/import across all projects.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I would NOT recommend copying the dsparms file from one project to another. You do not know if the difference in release level of datastage also constitutes new or removed entries in the dsparms file.

You could script it, but then again, you will have trouble separating the user parms vs the default project (tool) parms.

As an administrator of many years... I would not script that (and I love scripting stuff). Use the GUI admin tool, highlight the user section and copy those entries. You can export it into a file and load into the other host/project.

Ask your admin if there were any other non user entries that have been changed from their default values and edit those accordingly.