Creating packages for objects with istool

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

amit.jaiswal_ATL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Creating packages for objects with istool

Post by amit.jaiswal_ATL »

Hello All,

I was looking at this post about CLI options. Can you please send few examples of how this ./istool create package CLI was used to create package based on list of Datastage objects ?

Thanks in advance.
Amit Jaiswal
Atlanta GA USA
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... split you out into your own post and linked back to the original, resolved post you found.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
amit.jaiswal_ATL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by amit.jaiswal_ATL »

Hello All,

I got the istool command for creating the package. Here is the one which I have tested,

./istool.sh create package -domain <host name>:<port number> -authfile <authentication file path name> -pkg <package name> -datastage '-includeexecutable -includedependent -base=<host name>/<ds project name> 'TestingDepl_Job1.pjb' 'TestingDepl_Job2.pjb' 'complete assent list with appropriate asset extension''

Now I am trying to find the .pkg file on unix server. Please let me know where is this package getting created on unix server (standard path) ?

Thanks in advance!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... I can't speak to the specifics of this tool but in general, when something is created without providing a specific output path, it goes into the "current working directory". In other words, wherever you launched the command from. Regardless, I would think a "find" command looking for "*.pkg" would turn it up.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check that istool executed successfully. The command you posted here has a mismatched quote character.

The easiest way is to check the exit status (that is, execute echo $? immediately after executing the istool command).

If the istool command did not execute successfully then no package file will be created.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or that... which would help explain why you can't find the package. :wink:

Although I'm a bit surprised that it might silently fail. If you are doing this in a non-interactive environment (i.e. a script) then definite use that to check to see if it ran successfully.
-craig

Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

I haven't used the istool command line in the most recent versions, but is "create package" an option now? Or perhaps the OP meant "build package"?

When using the IS Manager GUI, creating a package just puts the package definition into the XMETA repository. You don't get a package containing current versions of the objects until you build the package.

If there is command line support for creating a package, perhaps it just adds the package definition to the repository and you still need to do a build.

Mike
ds_infy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Creating packages for objects with istool -adding components

Post by ds_infy »

Hello All

amit.jaiswal_ATL - there is not much documentation for istool create package option, the syntax you mentioned worked perfectly fine for creating a new package and adding jobs to it, Thank you

I could not find out options related to adding a new job once a package is created or created & built, i tried istool modify package, append package, alter package but none of them are valid,

i created a package with two jobs intially, then used create package command and added third job to the list , package creation errored with package already exists error, same error if i just give the new job to be added

Please can some one help, we know it can be manually added from the server manager UI, but trying out a build automation process

Thank you