Preview Webinar for new DS release

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Preview Webinar for new DS release

Post by FranklinE »

I want to encourage everyone who attends the webinar to discuss the new release here. Mostly, it's so I have a chance to see myself write (hear myself speak).
:lol:
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

First impressions:

Excellent presentations and support from Dennis and his team.

Next time, schedule it for 90 minutes or two hours. I know attendees have time concerns, but this was important topical stuff, and well worth the time.

Flow Designer looks very exciting.

The integrated source control was not covered very much. I very much want more information about that.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The DataStage Flow Designer looked great! It has a very nice, similar look and feel to the IA thin client and to the original Designer.

As an Admin, I am most excited about not having to take time and effort to keep all the client tiers updated and in sync with all the fix pack and patch levels.

It will be nice too if you can just log into the web Designer and not have to wait for the progress meter while it loads, like in the thick client.

I do wonder how much of a CPU hit the Services tier might take by serving up Designer sessions, if any.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

Browser-based UI? <sigh> I think the sentiment on the browser-based UI was covered well in this post:

viewtopic.php?t=157482

It seemed like they want DataStage to be a competitor to Alteryx and other business analyst data integration tools, which is a wrong move IMO. The treatment is worse than the disease.
jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jackson.eyton »

Does anyone have a link to a recording of said webinar?
-Me
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

jackson.eyton wrote:Does anyone have a link to a recording of said webinar?
Not yet. They'll announce it when they've created the package.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Web-based user interfaces eliminate a lot of installation and maintenance headaches (and organizational process and delays) and makes it so much easier to quickly expand usage out to new users, including a wider variety of users as well, beyond the DataStage developers.

They also mentioned consolidating the number of user interfaces. Up until now they have too many client tier user interfaces so it is too expensive for them to maintain each one separately. It's not just about Designer but also Director, Administrator, FastTrack, IS Manager, and the IA/ISD Console thick clients. You may have to look at the whole picture in order to appreciate the direction of the changes. I think the changes make sense regardless of whatever competing products are doing.

You can also continue to use the DataStage Designer thick client side by side with the web based client. That will have to be the case up until the web interface is fully functional, so I would guess that will be the case for at least another year. In fact, the slide deck mentioned they wanted to eliminate that whole tier in about 18 months.

If they can pull that off, then we may no longer need a Windows PC. Bonus!!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

I received an email yesterday with the recording link, but the link was customized with my email address so I don't want to post it here. Maybe there is a generic link that can be posted now?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »