This topic has been marked "Resolved."
metadatamen

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

DataStage® Release: 11x
Job Type: Parallel
Hi,

Am wondering what's the main difference in creation of "Extension Mapping Document" and creation of XML Flow while using Open IGC from Lineage perspective.

Let's say I have some core IGC Assets, and some custom assets created through Open IGC. Am able to create a lineage through "Extension Mapping Document", just that it's confusing in what situation one would go with XML flow approach and what are the advantages.

Please advise.
eostic

Premium Poster

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Hi... It is a bit historical, and also points to "ease of use" and what you want when you are viewing lineage... First and foremost --- Extension Mappings and xmlFlow for lineage are both fu ...

blogit!
Open IGC is Here!
Rate this response:  
metadatamen

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Awesome, great explanation. Thanks much Ernie.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
eostic

Premium Poster

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Anytime. To add to the statements above....basically, OpenIGC is vastly more powerful and far more elegant...because you can specifically design the objects you want, as data movers or the static s ...

blogit!
Open IGC is Here!
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
metadatamen

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Hi Enie,

Couple of questions that I have been hearing from people. Please shed some light on these.

1. Is it possible to add comment/details on the Flow link in lineage diagram? Let's say an App A is Source and App B is Target and it's being linked, we want to mention what kind of information flows from App A to App B and would like to display them in the Link itself.
e.g. App A ------> App B We would like to mention the comment on top of ------>

2. There have been an ask to run lineage at Business Term level. Let's say all our business terms are actually CDE's, We really don't want to create a duplicate object for these CDEs [Business Term] just for the lineage purpose, instead if we could run lineage on the Business Terms it would be great. Do we have any solution for this?

3. For Bundle Creation, Asset Import and Flow Creation, the only supporting document I can see is the information available in Comment section of "Data Mass" bundle xml files. But am wondering if there are any more documents available for more learning about Open IGC xsd's or would you say the comment sections have all information available.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
eostic

Premium Poster

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

1. No...you can comment "internally", in the flowXML itself, but it doesn't display. That would be very nice. Be sure, however, to take advantage of tagging your lineage as flowType OPERATIONAL/D ...

blogit!
Open IGC is Here!
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
metadatamen

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Ok.

Another interesting that I just noticed is creation of Lineage for only Core IGC Information Assets using XML flow.

What I did:
1. I imported few Data Files with fields through istool import.
2. Created only XML flow file [not complete bundle] with only the fields imported in Step 1.
3. Uploaded the XML Flow file through Rest API Post Call and am able to see the linage.

One advantage I noticed doing this approach is the extra layer not shown which normally comes with "Extension Mapping Document" which is really nice. I would always prefer to go with this approach instead of "Extension Mapping Document" just for this reason.

But I couldn't find how this XML flow can be deleted from IGC. I tried to figure out a solution but no luck. Please advise.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
eostic

Premium Poster

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

yes....nice work! ....you have found one of the nice advantages of using the flowXML of OpenIGC. To clear out lineage, just send up a flowUnit node with no subflow or flow elements beneath it....ide ...

blogit!
Open IGC is Here!
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic