Detect Datastage Server is healthy

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Detect Datastage Server is healthy

Post by clarcombe »

Our system admin has asked me to find out which processes they should monitor for Datastage Server health

Apart from doing a ps -ef | grep IBM, is there anything more reliable that I should ask them to check ?
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

There are a number of processes. Go to the Launchpad web page and open the Operations Console. It has a dashboard that is great for monitoring the server health. It also lists several important server processes in green or red.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

I have opened a call with IBM to check this.
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I find the best way to run a crude health check is to run a RowGen->Peek job.

Kick it off in the background. (should run super fast since you would only need about a hand full of rows to prove the point that you can run a job).
sleep 1 or 2 mins.
Kick off the job again.

Test return code of second submit.

The reason you want a 1 -> 2 punch is because if job number 1 hangs for over a min, job #2 will fail because it is not in a runnable state (still running)... you have a health issue.

If job #1 and 2 both fail, you have a health issue.

Your health of the environment basically boils down to "Can I run a job in a timely fashion?" if you submit a 10 second job and it takes over a min or so to come back... you may have your answer. You would submit the job at the highest priority (if grid) so as to not wait in the queue for to long.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Also investigate the capabilities of ISA Lite which, among other things, can perform a health check of your Information Server installation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.