DSXchange: DataStage and IBM Websphere Data Integration Forum
View next topic
View previous topic
Add To Favorites
This topic has been marked "Resolved."
Author Message
qt_ky



Group memberships:
Premium Members

Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 2897
Location: USA
Points: 21971

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

DataStage® Release: 11x
Job Type: Parallel
OS: Unix
Additional info: Version 11.3.1.2
All of our current ISD apps are deployed using SOAP over HTTP and tested using SoapUI. Now I am getting into REST and JSON and have a bunch of questions.

I have deployed a simple test job in ISD with REST 2.0 binding and the GET HTTP Action and have managed to piece together the URL (according to the pattern outlined in the documentation) and was able access it OK, eventually. Smile

1. In the ISD Console when viewing deployed applications, with the app expanded and the service selected, there is an empty field called URL. Why is the URL empty, and when you click the View button next to it, why does nothing happen? Are these the expected behaviors? I was hoping to get the URL from here instead of manually piecing it together.

2. I have deployed the REST 2.0 test without having selected confidentiality for https. I found that using http:// in the URL leads to an IE error that the page cannot be displayed. If I use https:// prefix then it works. But I did not enable https. Why the surprise here?

3. When testing using the org's standard web browser, IE11, every test prompts with a pop up about what to do with the results - open or save. Open pops up the results in a new window, like Notepad. What are some more efficient ways to test and view the results?

4. Has anyone got suggestions for useful naming conventions on the ISD applications, services, and operations? Our existing ones are quite lengthy and difficult to look at. What might a user-friendly one look like?

Thank you!

_________________
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
eostic

Premium Poster



Group memberships:
Premium Members

Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 3840

Points: 31021

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

1. URL. Didn't even know that existed, and I deploy these things all the time...must not have been there when we first released the REST binding quite a few years ago. I memorized the url format an ...

_________________
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
Open IGC is Here!
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
qt_ky



Group memberships:
Premium Members

Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 2897
Location: USA
Points: 21971

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Thanks for you quick response.

1. The "URL:" field may be a non-functional stub, or perhaps it gets populated if some other http actions or formats are chosen. Not sure.

2. Ah right, all the various client connections moved to https by default out of the box on 11.3. I think that would explain this behavior as well.

3. Yes, that was with using JSON as the test. OK, searching...

4. Thanks for your example. It's clever.

I ran some quick tests and found that all the parts in the URL are case-sensitive. Change any case of the URL and you get HTTP 404 - page not found error. Change the case of your argument name, and it does go through and you do get results back, however the argument you sent as input was interpreted as having the null value, because you didn't actually provide the correct argument name. Makes sense. All good!

_________________
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
qt_ky



Group memberships:
Premium Members

Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 2897
Location: USA
Points: 21971

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Regarding question 3., here is an update for those testing JSON results using IE and you want to disable the open or save file prompt that comes up every time. Not sure if it works across other web browsers as well; will leave that for others to test.

As per this article, http://9to5it.com/internet-explorer-disable-do-you-want-to-open-or-save-this-file-prompt/, there are steps available to allow you to disable the IE prompting for a particular file type. In this case, the steps are tweaking for *.json files. These steps worked for me:

1. Launch Registry Editor (Start >> Run >> regedit.exe)
2. Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER
3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell
4. If it doesn’t exist, create the AttachmentExecute key
5. Create the {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} key
6. Create a new Binary Value with the Name json_auto_file
7. Re-launch IE and test – should be now working ok

_________________
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
Display posts from previous:       

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Theme & Graphics by Daz :: Portal by Smartor
All times are GMT - 6 Hours