Newbie question: Is QualityStage being deprecated?

Infosphere's Quality Product

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

light_blue
Premium Member
Premium Member

Newbie question: Is QualityStage being deprecated?

Post by light_blue »

I've spent the last 2 weeks learning DataStage for about 8 hours daily, but now I'm wondering about QualityStage, where I see that the last Redbook was published about 8 years ago, in 2008 by "Nagraj Alur, Alok Kumar Jha, Barry Rosen, and Torben Skov": "This edition applies to Version 1, Release 8, Modification 0 of IBM Information Server (5724-Q36)." -- www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247546.pdf

Should I instead read the Documentation from the Knowledge Center? https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... _jobs.html

This IBM video shows the Standardization Rules Designer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AGLmTs3HjI), but that URL doesn't work on my system AND this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXALv38MIWc&t=2m3s) shows TONS of icons that whereas my Parallel Job's Data Quality palette shows only one: MDM Connector. A Server Job on my system doesn't show anything under Data Quality palette.

Is that because of my license? It says: "IBM InfoSphere DataStage and QualityStage Designer - Entitlement: 2 Concurrent Users. IBM InfoSphere DataStage - Entitlement: 280 PVU"

In short, where should I begin learning QualityStage in such an environment?

Thanks!
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

To my knowledge the quality tools are alive and well and I am running a fairly new installation of version 11. I have stages for data rules and pattern action language and a bunch of other things.

IBM offers a couple of short courses that cover quality stage and pattern action language. I think this is part of the advanced datastage course, but I could be mistaken. I had this course last year late and there was no talk of doing away with any of it.

I think not having the tools is your license. OR: I don't know what you can do with this on a server job; the few quality jobs I have done were all parallel jobs.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

QualityStage is alive and well, but you do not have a license for it.

That there hasn't been a RedBook for some time only means that no-one has produced a RedBook. With the exception of the Standardization Rules Designer not much has been changed in the way one uses QualityStage.

What they HAVE done is to add rule sets for more and more countries (not all of which are automatically installed "out of the box").
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
light_blue
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by light_blue »

ray.wurlod wrote:QualityStage is alive and well, but you do not have a license for it.
Again, I'm new, but the following *seems* to imply QualityStage: "IBM InfoSphere DataStage and QualityStage Designer - Entitlement: 2 Concurrent Users. IBM InfoSphere DataStage - Entitlement: 280 PVU" Are you saying I need PVU's for QualityStage?
light_blue
Premium Member
Premium Member

not installed

Post by light_blue »

It turns out that the system administrator who installed DataStage--me--didn't check the box for QualityStage during the Infosphere Server installation. I'm assuming that's the reason the stages are missing, rather than license...
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Make sure that your org has indeed purchased QualityStage PVU licenses before you opt to install QualityStage! :!:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius