Unstructured Data with big number

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Do an exact search here for "scientific notation" and you'll see it is a common Excel problem / question without a good solution that I recall. You could also try searching for "exponential".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
igorbmartins
Participant

Post by igorbmartins »

Hello chulett, thank you for your reply. I tried to find here the solution before I posted this question, but in my case, I cannot create a calculation because in this column I have numbers, date, string. So I need to read without this conversion. Is it possible?
If I open this excel I see the correct number.

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I think that is a question for support, if/how the Unstructured Data stage can handle those numbers of a large size. Unless someone with actual experience with this wanders by, of course. :wink:
-craig

UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

Oddly, if you format the column in excel as zip code, it will stop trying to put it into sci notation AND it does just fine on text fields. This might work for you. Then you can export the excel as a csv and use a flat file reader if reading the excel file directly is not cooperating.
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

The excel formatting of zip handles a mix of letters and numbers all just fine. It also stops the automatic format to scientific notation. Forget that it is named zip code, just understand that it is a formatting option that is good for a very wide variety of generic data. I think you should try it to see if it works for you. It may not but it often does, you won't know until you try it.
intelcom
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Unstructured Data with big number

Post by intelcom »

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

8)

Thanks for posting that!
-craig

igorbmartins
Participant

Post by igorbmartins »

Hello intelcom, I did it and it solve my problem. Thanks.