REST? WSDL? WADL?

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

william.wang_GMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by william.wang_GMA »

Hi,
Another question for you:

With SOAP-based WebServcie, the client knows how many operations are available by investigating the WSDL.

In a REST-based WebService, how does the client know what operations are available to use? Is there such a list for Client to investigate ?

Thanks
Mike Bui
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Great point.

REST supporters talk about the "heavy weight" of SOAP/WSDL and the serializing/de-serializing engine work that goes on at run time (among other things)...

...REST, while more flexible and natural from a web development perspective, lacks metadata, lacks formal structure, lacks already solid directory mechanics for things like complex WSDL and its operations.

There are pros and cons to both...I've seen "some" attempts to create formal contracts for REST, and pass around xsd's, but of course, as soon as people start proposing rigid structure around REST.....then it starts to lose its appeal.

From the DataStage perspective, I choose to stay out of the fray, but respect the reasons architects will choose one vs the other, and then do what I can to ensure that DataStage can "be" a REST or SOAP service, and is able to invoke a REST or SOAP service....your choice... it can be done with Information Server.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>