Clean Orphan and defunct processes

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Clean Orphan and defunct processes

Post by SURA »

Hi there

We all seen Orphan and defunct processes relates to Datastage running in the Server. Cleanup is one of the mechanism all we needed. When I Google it, i found a link and it seems new to me. I trust this will help others when needed!

Herewith the link.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21446117
Orphan and defunct processes are left by InfoSphere DataStage

Technote (troubleshooting)

Problem(Abstract)

We are regularly seeing orphan run processes that need to be manually cleaned up.
Resolving the problem

DataStage includes environment variables that can be used to manage processes that are not ending properly. The variables are:

DSForceTerminate: If this is set to 1 DataStage will force the termination of processes if they do not voluntarily terminate. If unset or has a value of zero then this behavior is disabled (default behavior).

DSWaitShutdown: If unset or less than 60 the timeout will be set to 60 seconds this has been the default for most customers. Setting a higher figure will result in job termination waiting for the specified number of seconds before the run process terminates or the stages are forcibly shutdown (depends on the above environment variable).

To use these variables you must add them as user-defined environment variables in Administrator for each project (they don't exist by default). Alternatively, you can set these variables the dsenv file but if you do that you need to restart the Engine.

You can use the following values:

DSForceTerminate=1
DSWaitShutdown=60

Note: For 7.5 or previous versions you must install patch JR34279 in order to use these variables. For 8.x versions you don't need any patch to use these variables
Before i post this thread i given a small search in DSX for "DSForceTerminate" and found 1 match. That seems old. So herewith i added this for you guys.

Notes: I haven't tried this, but i will try this and update my experience.

Good luck.
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

That's a good article - but I'd be more concerned as to WHY you are seeing orphaned processes after a run. That's not a normal occurrence.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

In Windows OS Datastage is facing lot of issues while using MKS Tool kit conversion. This made jobs to hang for no reason or not able to identify the root cause of that issue.

Job will not allow to stop or Kill etc. For a day to day life we will find the way to come out from these issues and start using the Server. Eventually one day we will restart the server to refresh and wipe out these processes.

I am working in Windows OS for the past 3 years and running Datastage in Windows OS is not so smooth as i have seen in UNIX.

I do agree, now a days it is getting mature after a fix for MKS.
Thanks
Ram
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

From version 9.1 DataStage no longer uses MKS. It uses native Windows system calls.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

Hi Ray

That's new to me as well as very useful.
Thanks
Ram