Issue passing parameters at runtime for Web Service

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Madhumitha_Raghunathan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Issue passing parameters at runtime for Web Service

Post by Madhumitha_Raghunathan »

Hi,

We are using parameter sets in a job which we exposed as a web service.
But when we configure it in Information Server Console, the parameter set gets split up into individual parameters and we need to hard code the values when we set the binding.

This is causing a problem when promoting the services because the file paths, databases and credentials vary form one environment to another. We also would like minimal configuration activities during code promotions.

Does anyone else have a way to pass these parameters at runtime when the service is invoked rather than configuring it in Information Server Console?

Thanks,
Madhumitha
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

If the job is "always on" (meaning...it has an ISDinput Stage), then the input arguments to the Operation are the incoming row...

...if the Job has a passive stage as a beginning, then you can have Job Parameters passed as actual input when the service is invoked.

I will assume that you have an ISDinput Stage...and in that case, the best thing to do is use the ISDadmin command line to adjust job parameter values that are in the application after it is deployed, without having to use the GUI and re-deploy formally. It is documented....you'll find detailed syntax at the online doc center.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
Madhumitha_Raghunathan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Madhumitha_Raghunathan »

Hi Ernie,

We are using an ISDinput Stage and output stage. our requirement is to lookup the incoming record against a table on a database.

I used a parameter set to pass the database credentials. This is where we are facing a problem. When we promote the code or the Information Services components we are not able to pass the credentials at runtime. Is there any way out rather than hardcoding it?
Thanks,
Madhumitha
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I think it is answered above....the ISDAdmin command.
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
haylo75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by haylo75 »

eostic wrote:I think it is answered above....the ISDAdmin command.
Today I started to transition all our Web Services enabled jobs to Parameter Sets for database credentials. That Parameter Sets are exploded to individual parameters in ISD, further with no awareness of Value Files, is an indication that better integration is needed.

I see where ISDAdmin can be used to update ISD job parameters, but this method is quite the workaround to Parameter Sets and Value Files functionality within DataStage proper.
The middle of every successful project looks like a disaster -- Rosabeth Moss Cantor