No Engine credentials were found on the Services Tier

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

One more thought... after a reboot, I noticed that it can take a few minutes after the server is up before I can login on my low-resource VM. I wait until the web console login screen can be displayed before trying to login to DataStage Designer.

Mike
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

I did notice that during my first few logons. After that I wait until web console is up and then give it a try. Thanks for confirming that.

One more question: Does User Registry need to be in "Shared" mode or "Non Shared" mode for Internal Registry authentication to work?

Thanks
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Whatever the installation default is... which I would assume to be not shared.

Mike
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The engine tier cannot use the internal user registry.

For an internal user registry, set User Registry to Not Shared and map credentials.

For an external user registry, set User Registry to Shared or Not Shared, depending on your setup. Mine is like yours all on one box and I have it set to Shared. In that case, no credential mapping is required.

Details are outlined in the Admin Guide, but take your time because it reads a bit like IRS 1040 instructions... :lol:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

Thanks Mike & Eric :) Will update you soon.
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

Here's what I did:

1) Reinstalled IIS 8.5 with Engine & Services on the same RHEL box and metadata repository pointing to an empty Oracle DB( XMETA is the name of the DB, schema and the user)

2) USER123 belonging to group dstage was already existing in RHEL

3) Opened web console and did the following:
a) Users and Groups -> Users -> New user -> [ Created USER123 and assigned all the roles in Suite & Suite component; Save & Close ]
b) Domain Management -> Engine Credentials [ Value of "User Registry" is "Not Shared" ]
c) Domain Management -> Engine Credentials -> Open User Credentials -> [ Added USER123 to "Map User Credentials" tab; Selected USER123 and typed in USER123 details in "Assign User Credentials" and clicked on Apply ]
d) Now "InfoSphere Information Server Engine Operating System Users" shows USER123 for the suite user USER123.
e) Logged out of web console and restarted RHEL. Waited until I could login to web console and tried logging into Designer using user USER123. Got the same error: No Engine credentials were found on the Services Tier for the specified user ('USER123') on Information Server Engine '<IP address>'

Have I followed the steps correctly in the right order to make Internal User Registry authentication work?

Just a thought:
Should I have created dstage group in web console and added USER123 to it?
Last edited by mavrick21 on Thu May 03, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I assume you ran XMETA scripts before the install.

You should not need to restart the OS after adding users.

You don't need to create any groups in the web console.

Your error message indicates USER1 vs. USER123. Double check that first.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Also before getting too far from default settings, try mapping the new internal user ID to a default OS ID such as dsadm. One change at a time.
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

qt_ky wrote:I assume you ran XMETA scripts before the install.
No I did not. What do those scripts do and where can I find them?
qt_ky wrote: Your error message indicates USER1 vs. USER123. Double check that first.
Sorry this was a typo and I've edited that in my post.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I thought if you went non-DB2 (DB2 is default) on the repository that you first had to run the DDL to create the objects in the repository. Maybe not... Install guide for your version would say.

Also confirm an admin login works, like isadmin or dsadm, before setting up new IDs.
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

During the installation if XMETA schema is non-empty the installer throws up an error saying so. So I drop that schema and re-create it. Only after that the installer moves to the next step.

I used isadmin to login to web console to setup new users. Also tried wasadmin and that worked too.
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

Just checked on the tables in XMETA and 683 new tables are created.
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

I presume I need to install 8.5 using UNIX root else I get this error: "Current login name is not root, please switch to root to continue installation."

Most of the installed UNIX directories have root as user and root as group. Could this be causing the issue? Should dstage group belong to root group or something like that?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

root install is the way to go. You don't need to add root into any groups. It is normal for root to own many files under the install location. Did you try logging into any DataStage clients as isadmin and dsadm IDs (not into Web Console)?
mavrick21
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mavrick21 »

Just tried isadmin and wasadmin in Designer and Director client. Same error. If I try a dummy username and password I get "Failed to authenticate the current user against the selected Services Tier"

I also checked the firewall on my client (Windows Server 2003 R2 service pack 2) and it's turned off. I hope this version of windows is not the one causing it.