Upgrade question ?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kaps
Participant

Upgrade question ?

Post by kaps »

Hi

We are looking to upgrade from 7.5.2 EE to 8.7. Is this possible or should we go to 8.5 first and then to 8.7. Is it safe to go to 8.7 as it's pretty new ?

It seems we have to have AIX 6.1/7.1 to be on 8.7 but we are at 5.3 and the issue is DS EE 7.5.2 does not work on AIX 6.1. Is installing in new servers are the only option ?

Thanks
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

You should be able to migrate directly to 8.7, if you can work out the OS version. Version 8.7 was built on top of 8.5 fix pack 1, so it should be fairly stable.

We're on 8.5 now and migrating to 8.7. Note that if you're on 8.5, then installing 8.7 is not an in-place upgrade. It requires a migration. So, you might as well migrate once instead of twice.

Check out the migration guide that comes with 8.7 (also on the IBM site).

I would also suggest you contact the IBM Concierge Program for some guidance:

Migrating to InfoSphere Information Server, Version 8.5 and Version 8.7

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21445403
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
kaps
Participant

Post by kaps »

Eric - Thanks for the information. I did not get your statement about 8.5 to 8.7 needs a migration. Can you please elobarate little bit more ?

Thanks again...
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

You asked if you should go to 8.5 first then to 8.7 second. You can do that, but that would be two migrations to do instead of one. Just go directly to 8.7.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
kaps
Participant

Post by kaps »

Thanks for your reply. I got answer for 1 question that I can go directly to 8.7 from 7.5.2.

Is upgrading AIX to 6.1 and installing DS 8.7 on that is the only way ?
I am looking for options in this regard. We would like to upgrade the OS version to 6.1 and then do the upgrade of DS. Considering the fact that DS 7.5.2 is not compatible with 6.1, would there be an issue ?

Appreciate your time.

Thanks
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I would do it in that order but can only guess that it would probably work. I suggest you check with your official support to make sure it would be supported in that scenario.
DKostelnik
Participant

Post by DKostelnik »

I am planning on migrating from 7.5.1a to 8.7. There is a requirement for 8.7 that states you have to be at AIX 6.1. - So yes, you have to go to v6.1 first before you can install v8.7.

DS 8.5 is supported under AIX v5.3, but like the posts say, there is not an inplace upgrade to get to v8.7. You have to do a complete install and migration to get to 8.5, upgrade the O/S then you have to do another complete install and migration to get to 8.7. If you can go straight to AIX 6.1 and Infosphere 8.7 you will save yourself a headache.
Doug
AAA Auto Club Group
Listen to:
Porcupine Tree
Nosound
Days Between Stations