SCD stage issue with updates

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

g_rkrish
Participant

SCD stage issue with updates

Post by g_rkrish »

I have used SCD stage as mentioned in this postand i have included the surrogate key also in that, in the surrogate key tab i made it as from DB sequence.it is inserting properly but it is not updating rather it just adds one more new record am i missing some thing.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Un-hijacked.

g_rkrish: I was forced to enter a Release & OS for your post, please go back and edit it if what I set them to (8.x, Unix) are not correct.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

chulett wrote:Un-hijacked.
your are correct craig, sorry about that for not making it a new post i though that would be more clearer.
RK
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

tell how you did.

DS User
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

I did exactly like urs and i have a surrogate key id i put it as surrogate key and the natural key as business key and rest of the columns as type2.
in dim update i ahve given as urs.but it is inserting and in the oracle stage i have given natural key as key.in the director am getting lookup table empty warning.
RK
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

Consider few things while use SCD stage.

1. SCD stage will give two out puts. 1 is to update the DIM table and the next out put is to FACT table Or other DIM table.

2. In Fast path step 1 you will have the option for Select output link. You need to decide which link you need yo use to update the dim table (ref table).

3. Then in the Fast path 2 and 4 select the proper options.

Still you can't follow, then share your steps.

DS User
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

g_rkrish wrote:
your are correct craig, sorry about that for not making it a new post i though that would be more clearer.
Sorry, but it never is. All it does is distract people and confuse things when two problems are being discussed in the same thread. That and you have no mechanism to mark things as Resolved when your question is answered.

Always start a new post and link to the other post if you think it will add to the discussion.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

SURA wrote:Consider few things while use SCD stage.

1. SCD stage will give two out puts. 1 is to update the DIM table and the next out put is to FACT table Or other DIM table.

2. In Fast path step 1 you will have the option for Select output link. You need to decide which link you need yo use to update the dim table (ref table).

3. Then in the Fast path 2 and 4 select the proper options.

Still you can't follow, then share your steps.

DS User
1.Done
2.Done
3.Done and for the surrogate key tab given options for DBSeq given the sequence name and the acess previlages.

But one things happend was in the director it is showing that the lookup table is empty so what i feel is it is not doing look up on the business key also i found out on the Oracle stage the auto gen query update where condition is on the surr key so i made it as user defined and changed the where condition to use business key but what it does is, it does scd1.
RK
venkatvelpula
Participant

Post by venkatvelpula »

I think, SCD gives all changes and new records in the update dim output link with either existing or new surrogate key.
What is the other output really contains? Is this other output mandatory even if I don't need that for processing?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The other output contains data for the fact table. Yes, it's mandatory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

If you dont want you can redirect to /dev/null

DS User
evee1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by evee1 »

Or send it to a Copy stage.
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

chulett wrote:
g_rkrish wrote:
Sorry, but it never is. All it does is distract people and confuse things when two problems are being discussed in the same thread. That and you have no mechanism to mark things as Resolved when your question is answered.

Always start a new post and link to the other post if you think it will add to the discussion.
you are correct craig, discussion is going on diff direction.so venk has to make a new post for his queries.
RK
g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

Any thoughts???????
RK