Linking Cognos reports to Business Glossary terms

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Excellent work! Glad that you are at the point where you are looking for more ways to gain access to the glossary for your reporting users.

Some thoughts on this....

a) The Cognos feature indeed uses javascript, exploiting a special version of the REST API that comes with Business Glossary Anywhere. I looked at possibly hacking this to change its behavior, but it turned out to be too difficult and would be a maintenance nightmare. The goal at the time was to apply more fine grained searching based on the report name and the user who is running the report (assuming such things are even easily capturable in order to craft a different search).

b) Use Business Glossary Anywhere directly. The search algorithm is slightly different, but it provides similar functionality. Of course, it's only on windows and requires the install of a small memory-resident program.

c) Write your own custom servlet using JavaScript and the REST API for Business Glossary. It wouldn't be "right mouse" click as directly embedded inside of Cognos, but it would be entirely web based and could do "anything" you want in your search. Sample code can be found on the web [go to my blog below and look in the table of contents for the business glossary post regarding this subject]

d) One that I haven't experimented much yet with is the concept of "bookmarklets"...this is where you actually save javascript into a bookmark..... You can search that string on Google and find various descriptions of it...and somewhere I have additional info, but I haven't had a chance to explore it further and post a blog on it. I'll dig it up and spend some time on it in the next few days. But the basic idea, as I understand it, is that the bookmark can identify something on the page and then use it in a javascript based search that also uses the REST API that comes with BG Anywhere.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>