Using ABAP stage is not usefull for me

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gpbarsky
Participant

Using ABAP stage is not usefull for me

Post by gpbarsky »

Hi forumers......

I'm using the ABAP stage for reading some SAP tables. Access to SAP table is by means of the CPIC communication. But the problem is that the time-out for the SAP system is set to 5 minutes. Sometimes this is not enough to read the entire table.

I'm trying to use FTP services within the ABAP stage, but the SAP system requires me to use a secure FTP.

Could anybody tell me how to solve this situation ? Is there any way to use PSFTP in the ABAP stage ?

Thanks in advance.......
Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
gpbarsky
Participant

Post by gpbarsky »

Hello.......

Is there anybody oput there ??
Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure, but the number of people actively using SAP is on the small side I would wager and it's something I've never personally seen or touched. Have you contacted your official support provider in the meantime?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
arunsardana
Participant

Post by arunsardana »

Hello,

You will have to work closely with SAP basis team to get around this time limit issue. Basically, you will have to negotiate with SAP BASIS team (this is the team that controls SAP administration and is a different team from SAP SECURITY) if they are willing to increase the SAP runtime limit to 1 or 2 hours on any particular application servers. Generally, SAP Production environment will have multiple app servers and they can adjust the runtime limit to more than 5 minutes in any one app server and then you can use that app server to run your extracts. You can also parallelize your extracts to run mutliple instances at the same time and thus speed up the performance. for exmaple: if your extract is taking 15 minutes and so timing out, you can run three or four streams to speed up the performance and get your data in within 5 minutes.

Before you go parallel route, I'll suggest talking to SAP basis team and see if they are willing to increase the time out limit to more than 5 minutes. I know of lot of companies who do that and it's not a problem. 5 minutes time out used to be a standard long time ago but in new world, it's I beleive upto 1 -2 hour runtime limit. This runtime limit is imposed to ensure that any bad abap programs don't run forever and thereby slow down the PRD system.

Hope this helps. For FTP ooption, unfortunately SFTP is unavailable but you can build your job sequence in such a way that you use ABAP stage to extract and write a file on SAP server and then use DataStage's Secure FTP opotion to transfer the file from SAP server to DataStage Server. It will require some design work to do...

Hey, ABAP stage is used extensively and I know of a lot of companies in USA and Europe that will literally have big issues if ABAP stage wasn't working...they depend heavily in production on this one single stage...

regards,
Arun
gpbarsky
Participant

Post by gpbarsky »

Thanks a lot Arun for your response.

I already talked to the basis team, and they will not change the 5 minutes set for the time out in priduction environment.

Surely and soon, it's possible I will migrate to the new version of DS, in which it's the option of using SFTP in the ABAP stage, as I was told.

Thanks again Arun, and have a nice day.
Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
ivannavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ivannavi »

Hi gpbarsky,

Have you solved this? We have just installed 8.5 along with the pack for SAP R/3, because at IBM support they told us that SFTP with ABAP is supported in versions 8.x. Guess what, SFTP option cannot be found anywhere in the gui and it is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation! Everything looks the same as before.