Calling a service with multiple requests

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Calling a service with multiple requests

Post by suryadev »

I developed a web service with information services director.

When the service is called a request is sent and I get the response and that is through soapUI tool.

Is there any way to design a job which calls a service where the request is taken through a file and the response is stored in a file.

please suggest!!
Thanks,
Surya
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

What kind of info in the file? Your multiple requests?
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

The file contains 5 fields which are addr1,addr2,city,state,zip and this is the request for a service.

Thanks
Thanks,
Surya
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

suryadev wrote:The file contains 5 fields which are addr1,addr2,city,state,zip and this is the request for a service.

Thanks
Have you published your job as a service using Information Services Director?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

That's a single request with multiple input parameters. You sure can put these 5 fields in a sequential file and make sure the XPATH defined in the description column is matched correctly based on the WSDL. And send this data to your WSID_Transform stage which you code the namespace info and XPATH based on the Web service's WSDL.
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

Yes, I published my job as a service using information services director.

So basically

sequential file source-------->web service transformer---------->sequential file target

Is this the right way to do it?

Also Is XPATH the fields description so something like the length and data type.

Thanks
Thanks,
Surya
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

No, it's not something like fields and data type. Look your WS_Transform stage's-->Input-->Columns-->Description, it's something like, e.g.
/ns1:YourProject/Server[@xsi:type="xds:string"]/text[] of Text element.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Tell us also what your goal is.

I'm still not clear --- is the service you are calling in the WSTransformer the service published via ISD, or some other external service?

....and is the Job "with" the WSTransformer one that you are publishing with ISD?

What is the overall objective? If you have an ISD service, who are the consumers for it? A portal somewhere? Java developers?

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

Actually

I designed a web service published via ISD in Information server.

This web service is for correcting the address,so used CASS in the service.

As of now the request for the service is address and the response is the corrected address.

My goal is to send a file as request to this web service.The input file has around 20000 addresses and this has to be the request for the service and the response should be stored in another file where the response will be the corrected addresses.
Thanks,
Surya
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I hate to be so blunt, but why?

Save ISD for the single request, single transaction, milli-second response requirements that you have for address validation from a blackberry, or a java portal, or some other real time application that has many users and is coded by someone who needs abstract access to a web service using a tool that understands SOAP.

If you have 20k records to validate, use a batch job and be done with it. Put the CASS detail in a Shared Container that can be used in your ISD Job and also in a normal batch job.

"if".......you want to merely "kick off" that batch Job via SOAP, then make the batch Job (flat file to CASS to flat file) an ISD Job, and use a Job Parameter to identify the name of the desired file. Then...when publishing the Job, the value of the Job Parameter will become part of your WSDL --- you will pass up the "name" of the file with 20k rows, not the 20k rows themselves.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Let me be more clear in the first sentence.... Save the ISD "Always on" paradigm [ISDInput Stage starting the Job] for your address validation Jobs.....and instead, as outlined in the rest of the post, use a regular "batch" DataStage Job that is published as a Service.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

Thanks for the information.

So do a regular job and publish the job as a service using ISD.
For this job the request is only one address and the response will also be one address.

Actually I need two conditions to be satisfied, one as a service with one input and one output and for other condition this has multiple requests from a file.

After publishing this job as service can I do another job which has the file which I was talking about as source and WISD transformer and Output file which has the corrected addresses as target.

I have no idea about the shared container, what is the CASS detail which you asked me to put in shared container.

please suggest
Thanks,
Surya
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

One of the key points in the discussion above is "why web services"?

If you are processing files, and you have control...just use files. Please outline the reason for adding web services to this architecture. Then it may be easier to understand your goals and provide the best guidance.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
suryadev
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by suryadev »

I have files but one of the tasks is to change the addresses in the files to corrected addresses.

and the other task is the users call the service and they give one address as a request so that they get the corrected address as response.

Thanks
Thanks,
Surya
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Then the right approach is Shared Containers. This is a re-usable bit of DataStage logic where you would basically put just your CASS details.....and then use that Shared Container in another Job that has ISDinput and ISDoutput --- and deploy that Job for your users....

...and include the Shared Container in a batch Job that reads files and writes files....

You get the benefit of re-usable DataStage components, your services users get a real time single address service, and you also get a batch job for doing your addresses.

There are probably many threads on Shared Containers here --- it is a genercal concept for re-using bits of DataStage and independent of these specific techniques we're discussing here. Do some research on those and let us know how it goes.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!