Suggestion: separate forums for tech & design help reque

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Suggestion: separate forums for tech & design help reque

Post by FranklinE »

I'll concede up front that this is a question of convenience, but I'm betting that I'm not the only one with a restricted amount of time to spend on tech forums.

I suggest that there be two separate forums or sub-forums. One for "this is my current code and problem, can anyone help?" and another for "this is what I need to accomplish, can anyone suggest design approaches for it?" That, and constant reminders to be as descriptive as possible in the subject line would help make my trips here much more time-efficient. :D

Seriously, though, I do want to show my gratitude for receiving help by being able to help in return. My suggestion would help with that, also.

Thanks,
Franklin
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, needed to move you down to the proper forum for things of this nature.
Last edited by chulett on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

chulett wrote:Sorry, needed to move you down to the proper forum for things of this nature.
It's all okay. I owe you an apology for not finding the right forum in which to post this. Thanks.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Good ideas. I think forums for PX functions and server routines might help searching or finding good ideas. Maybe a forum for database design and/or table/index design.

I would like to see FAQ for performance tuning ideas or suggestions or on the above topics. Maybe FAQs could point people in right direction or even have links to best topics on specific ideas to help find answers quicker.
Mamu Kim
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

kduke wrote:Good ideas. I think forums for PX functions and server routines might help searching or finding good ideas. Maybe a forum for database design and/or table/index design.

I would like to see FAQ for performance tuning ideas or suggestions or on the above topics. Maybe FAQs could point people in right direction or even have links to best topics on specific ideas to help find answers quicker.
Thanks. I also opine that moving such technical/design discussions to FAQs would help reduce the periodic duplication of previous queries. :roll:

I like the idea of generic design discussions. I've had many in my time as a Cobol/JCL/DB2 developer, and they've frequently been directly responsible for making me a better coder. I hope to be able to say the same about DataStage at some point before I retire. :)