about web services

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

rahul8055
Participant

about web services

Post by rahul8055 »

Hello everyone,
I am using datastage 8.0.1 can anyone help me with the following questions

1.What is the best way to connect to a web service.
2.Right now my job has input WISD and output WISD
IS this ok for connecting to the service if so how do I connect to the service.
3.what is WISD client and WISD transformer.

thanks,
Rahul
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you clear about what WISD is for? It is not for connecting to web services, it is for exposing your job as a web services. Connecting to web services is an entirely different kettle of fish. Please clarify what it is you wish to accomplish.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rahul8055
Participant

Post by rahul8055 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Are you clear about what WISD is for? It is not for connecting to web services, it is for exposing your job as a web services. Connecting to web services is an entirely different kettle of fish. Pl ...

Thanks Ray,
can you help me what is the use of WISD client and WISD transformer. how do you get connected to a service,through information
services director?...please let me know?
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

WISD stages are for publishing DS Jobs "as" services........ Web Services Stages are for the opposite --- for "invoking" services from within DS....

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Open up the \Stage Types\Parallel\Real Time branch of your repository.
Open the properties of each stage type in turn noting in particular what's documented in the Long Description field. This should answer your question.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rahul8055
Participant

Post by rahul8055 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Open up the \Stage Types\Parallel\Real Time branch of your repository.
Open the properties of each stage type in turn noting in particular what's documented in the Long Description field. This shoul ...

thank you Ray,

where can I find the stage types.....can u tell me the path in the designer.

thanks,
Rahul
rahul8055
Participant

Post by rahul8055 »

rahul8055 wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:Open up the \Stage Types\Parallel\Real Time branch of your repository.
Open the properties of each stage type in turn noting in particular what's documented in the Long Description field. This shoul ...

thank you Ray,

thanks,
Rahul

Is there any other way for connecting to a web service other than webservices client.
In my job WISD input and WISD output are used for capturing the data from webservice.So how is my job connected to a web service.
please let me know...

Thanks,
Rahul
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Seriously, you need to spend some time reading the docs and just doing some general study on the subject of web services. There are a ton of resources out there, so it's not like they're hard to find.

As Ernie noted, the WISD Input and/or WISD Output stages are for when you want to expose your job as a web service, not for "calling" one. As noted, you'd need one of the Web Service stages in your job to invoke a service and which one you use depends on the nature of the invocation you need to do - i.e. the WS Client for a one time 'sourcing' call or the WS Transformer to call one for each row through a job are a couple of examples.

As noted, double-click on the stages in the repository browser and read their Long Description. Find the RTI/SOA/WISD documentation and spend some serious time with them. It's not something you'll learn from a post or two on a web board, instead you'll need to invest some time and study on your own to be successful.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rahul8055
Participant

Post by rahul8055 »

chulett wrote:Seriously, you need to spend some time reading the docs and just doing some general study on the subject of web services. There are a ton of resources out there, so it's not like they're hard to find.

As Ernie noted, the WISD Input and/or WISD Output stages are for when you want to expose your job as a web service, not for "calling" one. As noted, you'd need one of the Web Service stages in your job to invoke a service and which one you use depends on the nature of the invocation you need to do - i.e. the WS Client for a one time 'sourcing' call or the WS Transformer to call one for each row through a job are a couple of examples.

As noted, double-click on the stages in the repository browser and read their Long Description. Find the RTI/SOA/WISD documentation and spend some serious time with them. It's not something you'll learn from a post or two on a web board, instead you'll need to invest some time and study on your own to be successful.

Sure chulett, thanks a lot

I will spend time on reading the documents...and will let you know if I need something .I have redbook PDF on SOA so I guess that would be fine.

Thanks,
Rahul
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Do you have a direct link to that pdf?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rahul8055
Participant

Post by rahul8055 »

chulett wrote:Do you have a direct link to that pdf?

yes chulett,
I have a direct link for it

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247402.pdf
chulett I have a job in my designer....can you please tell me how can I find the format in which the data is flowing and the job is a services job
with WISD input and WISD output.

how can that output response to the webservice be in XML format.

please let me know

thanks,
Rahul
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

rahul8055 wrote:

thank you Ray,

thanks,
Rahul
I did. Whether or not U wants to is a different question.

The second person personal pronoun in English is spelled "you".