Datastage in Windows OS is stable?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage in Windows OS is stable?

Post by SURA »

Hello All

Just i need to know how stable the Datastage is in Windows OS. I have lot of issues and not sure it is the case , if any one choose to use Datastage along with SQL Server as a target!.

My Env Details.
Ram: 64 GB(But only supporting 32 GB due to OS limitation)
Intel Xeon (R) 32 CPU

Information Server Installation
Information Server 8.5 FixPack 1 (fixpack.is_85.windows.FP1_RC1.3.110409)

Target DB:
SQL Server 2008 R2 Fixpack2
OS Windows 2008 R2

Everyday i was keep on getting errors and failures and errors are random. If a job ran successfully, next day that job may fail no matter how simple or complex it is.

I may get some of the errors as mentioned below!

Code: Select all

Unable to initialize communication channel 
NuTracker 4 Errors
Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server 
DS job hang while load into sql server
A fatal error occurred while reading the input stream from the network. The session will be terminated (input error: 10054, output error:0)
When you run the job, it will go to ready state rather than running. At that time you can see lot of NuTracker Errors in event log
etc
Simple rerun is the solution! Or Restart the Datastage Server and rerun is the solution!

Whenever i got an error which is accruing regularly, i raised PMR, getting some solution. Even though not able to fixing the issue!

This is my first project working in Windows OS, and wish to know is it how the Datastage will perform in Windows OS?

Any suggestions and comments !!!!!!

So i wish to know is there is any thing relates to product, the environment or any other reason!

If you don't mind, can you please share your thoughts
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

It may live in a stable but is no Black Caviar!

We have had numerous issues with DS on Windows so really wouldn't call it stable. Our primary one actually had to do with Nutcracker which was forcing us to reboot once a week. The symptom would be for a job run or compile to hang (would get nutcracker errors in the Windows Event log) but appears to be a bit more stable of late with a patch upgrade.

Have had other issues although not really springing to mind - since I've been off a few weeks the time out has made all things bliss again!

One was due to memory too but with 32/64GB I can't see you hitting that issue (we've got 6GB on a virtual machine used for both client (3 users min) and server).
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

Thanks for your comments Kryt0n.

Guys any more suggestions!
Thanks
Ram
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

Hello All

Just an update about the NuTracker Issue.

In my experience, I noticed this NuTracker Error is triggering whenever the Datastage job couldn't handle the situation.

For example when the Developer did some mistake like Null to Not Null mapping, Type conversion without proper function etc.. and in those situation i noticed the NuTracker is triggered.

I am not sure what all the other scenarios where this NuTracker is being triggered.

Again it seems to be a memory leak and MKS Tool kit is not able to handle this situation.
Thanks
Ram
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

One more update. It is creating NuTracker Errors in the event log for the lookup failure too.

I created a job and a made the job to fail if the lookup doesn't match. Job failed as expected, but at the same time i can see NuTracker errors too.
Thanks
Ram
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you opened up a support case for this?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

Yes Craig

They provided me a patch for MKS. I haven't applied so far. I will do it soon and post you the status.
Thanks
Ram
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

We applied a patch for Nutcracker and it does seem to have stabilised our system, although we do go through the occassional restart so maybe we're just masking the issue. Still, more harmony in the workplace at the moment so it must have helped at least a bit
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

We applied the Fix for NuTracker Fix (MKSStaging-R94p1-Server-CFS31959-10-13-11), but still getting the NuTracker errors.

Dose any one know, whether we need to apply any JR41654_pxengine_windows patch for 8.5 , before apply (Already in discussion with IBM) NuTracker fix?

I am in DS 8.5 FP2.
Thanks
Ram
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

Not sure what nutcracker patch we installed but we are sitting on FP1, no other DS patches installed.

Having a quick look JR41654 looks to be a nutcracker fix which applied to the issue we experienced so that may be the patch we installed, the lucky chappie who installed it is not around at present though.