Transform Functions vs Transforms

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Transform Functions vs Transforms

Post by zulfi123786 »

I have gone through the server job guide but what i am confused is both of them look alike.
For example ConvertMonth is a Routine and MONTH.FIRST is a transform surprisingly the code of this transform is nothing but the earlier listed routine 'ConvertMonth(%Arg1%, "F")' . Can any one list the the differences between the Transform Functions and Transforms and why the guide places Transform Functions in routines category and not in Transforms.

Thanks you.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the very early versions of the product, the only way to invoke a Routine was through a Transform. That ceased to be the case, if I recall correctly, about version 3.0.

Transforms become in-line code in the job so, if a Transform is changed, every job that uses it has to be re-compiled. However, Routines are independent. If a Routine is changed, provided that the number and type of arguments don't change, jobs and sequences that invoke the routine do not need to be recompiled.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.