Rnd function always returns the same value

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pnpmarques
Participant

Rnd function always returns the same value

Post by pnpmarques »

Hello!
I have created a Server Routine that has this single line:
Ans=Rnd(1000)

I tested this routine several times and it always generates a random number as expected.
BUT when I execute this routine inside a Transformer stage, for each job execution I always get the same number (513), it's not generating a random number...

I tested a simple job that loads 3 rows into a file with 1 column which Derivation is just the calling of the above routine. Everytime I run, it I always get the following:

Did anyone experienced something like this?
Any explanation why this routine has a differente behaviour when inside a Transformer stage?

Thank you!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Read the DataStage BASIC manual about this function, and how the generator is seeded. You may need to create a before-stage subroutine to seed it off something variable like

Code: Select all

Date() * Time()
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I was thinking the same thing but it seems the seed is more applicable to the Randomize() function. Rnd(n) is supposed to generate a random number between 0 and n-1 rather than a series of 'pseudo-random' numbers.

Mind you, I haven't read the BASIC manual entry for this, only the online help.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers