Job Start Up Time

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

snt_ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Start Up Time

Post by snt_ds »

Hi,

We have a job with src as Oracle table with 6 lookup stages(In memory) , followed by the Transforer for the business rules and then loads an Oracle table. It gets roughly 2k records

Ths job takes startup time as 2.06 mins and 0.21 mins as production run time.So almost 90% of the time is used for Startup.

Any way by which I can reduce on the this startup time by making some design changes or any other settings that can help?

Thanks.
snt_ds
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

One of the major invisible things in version 8.0 is reduced startup time. There's not a whole lot you can do about it in version 7. That's one of the reasons I advocate server jobs for small to medium loads.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

If source and lookup are both Ora, why not do in db itself !!?

Search for Sparse and Performance.
Pierre
Participant

Post by Pierre »

I faced this problem several times (with DS Server).
Clearing the log reduced the startup time.

Pierre.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas. Virgile (Géorgiques).
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I concur with Ray on this. Server jobs are at your disposal. Use them for such jobs.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
snt_ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snt_ds »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:If source and lookup are both Ora, why not do in db itself !!?

Search for Sparse and Performance.
Thanks ..in that case why use ETL itself if everything could be done efficiently in DB.!!
snt_ds
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The "T" of ETL can rarely be done as efficiently or as flexibly in the database.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.