Execution Order

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

Execution Order

Post by pravin1581 »

Hi All,

How to control the execution order of different stages in a single job.

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You can only control the order by the way you design the job as DataStage will try to execute everything concurrently. If stages have dependancies then those will determine the execution order, i.e. if you create a dataset and use that as a lookup then that branch will have to complete before the first data row is processed in the lookup.
pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pravin1581 »

ArndW wrote:You can only control the order by the way you design the job as DataStage will try to execute everything concurrently. If stages have dependancies then those will determine the execution order, i.e. if you create a dataset and use that as a lookup then that branch will have to complete before the first data row is processed in the lookup.
Thanks for the reply, its not like that all the stages are trigerred at the same time, Dataset creation and the same time it is being used in the lookup leading to the failure of the look up.
pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pravin1581 »

If I am creating a file in the job in one flow and at the same time in the other flow if the file is used, then how this is going to work because when a job starts it triggers all the processes at the same time.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You MUST design that as two jobs.

The operating system will not permit reading from a file that is being written to.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pravin1581 »

Thanks for the reply, even my understanding was that only.