2. Time off at work to read documentation and study
8%
3. Installed DataStage on my PC and played around with it
11%
4. Learning on the job with a seasoned DataStage professional
20%
5. Thrown into a project with no training and no assistance except DSXchange
24%
6. Using a local official trainer (using IBM's materials)
4%
7. Using a local trainer (using their materials)
6%
8. Using a custom ordered course from an independant expert
1%
9. None of the above (please post how you learned as a reply to this poll)
3%

Total votes: 1319

lpadrta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lpadrta »

Learned DataStage, QM, MetaStage, SAP Extract, BW Load Pack, etc. with Ardent/Informix and on to Ascential, then a couple of years at a company as the wearing-all-the-hats Ascential product support and DataStage architect/designer/bottle-washer, then off to independent consulting. dsxchange has been an INVALUABLE source of knowledge and tips/tricks over the years (and the oliver.com web site, too). Not having much luck breaking the 8.0 experience barrier, tho.
Offshored2002
Participant

Thrown to the wolves

Post by Offshored2002 »

On the fly training, "here's the software, here are the .pdf files and here is a large project for you to do."

So by experimenting, reading the manuals (somewhat useful) and reading posts here (very useful) since early 2008, I am getting the hang of things.
stotman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: How did you learn DataStage?

Post by stotman »

roy wrote:Hi All,
Recently Arnd poped an interesting question,
How did our community learn to use this product?

Please take a minute to answer this poll :)

Regards,

Lol while I'm not quite as old a timer as Ernie, Arnd, Ray and others I was the second ardent employee hired in the uk and attended one of the first engineering training courses in MK along with Wesley & Bupesh & Arron but then to be honest I really learnt from Nigel Terry, Sunil Patel, Mat Ludlam, Andrew Webb, Len Greenwood, Chris McGill, These Ostic & Wussing blokes, Mike Ruland, Danny Owens, Mike Carney

All the smart old gits 8)

Cheers

Steve
Steven Totman
Team Lead Metadata
Product Management
Information Server
IBM
rjhcc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhcc »

I learned from a mix of most of choices you offer. Since I can't claim any single one and there is no way to pick more than one answer, I'm posting.
rjhcc
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Orchestrate then Ascential

Post by bcarlson »

devnull wrote:I learned Torrent Orchestrate first on my own then took DataStage classes from Ascential when the product was assimilated into DataStage.
Ditto (same company). We also had a custom class several years ago from local training company.

Brad
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
bikan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bikan »

Oracle PL/SQL etl codes -> DataStage jobs. Thats how it happened, no formal training.
RodBarnes
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RodBarnes »

Once DataStage Server had been selected as our ETL tool, I attended a one week class with an Ascential instructor. Personally, I felt the class was worthless to a great extent. The class took us through running the clients (which I could have just have easily done on my own) and went through building the demo jobs but never explained why we were doing what we were doing. I still came away with nearly no idea of what DataStage could do or, more importantly, when I should do what.

I spent a good deal of time with each stage to see what they did, read the help, built some jobs, etc. -- and then happened upon DSXchange. It has done more to help me understand DataStage and use it effectively than anything else I've encountered.
Aravindhan
Participant

Sent to client as a DS consultant where I learnt by myself

Post by Aravindhan »

Hello experts,

I never had worked with DataStage but I know to backup jobs using Manager (v7.5.2). With this knowledge I was sent to client's place where I failed in the face-to-face interview but until I get a replacement I was asked to wait. Meanwhile, I used the chance to open and see what the tool comprises of. The project is to implement HCM, no development, so I got a chance to see (pre-designed) jobs... On just looking the job I could visualize some idea behind the design. On opening each stage's properties, I could collect some info and understand about each stage in every job.

On those days, ETL developers were in great demand, which delayed my client to find a replacement. I sent a document (which I understood and developed from the jobs) to my client and they were impressed and grant me a chance to continue in the same project. I succeeded in the product implementation and at the end I did it individually. Like how my DS career had started and now I'm working in 7th DataStage project and in Malaysia.

Best Regards,
Aravindhan D
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Datastage is a great tool to solve business problems of data integration, Key to any successful implmentation of a BI project is understanding the rationale and business reason /logic for it, which is what any client is really interested in. The Client needs to be confident that we're not there just to work on any fancy technology, but to implement a BI/Data Integration solution, and Datastage is just a tool, although amazing on its own in terms of technical complexity and underlying architecture. Its becoming a tougher market to sell speciality skills as most clients use out of the box solution, with little customization or due to resourcing constraints. So not breaking the 8.0 barrier is not necessarily a handicap as long as you can assimilate the requirements quickly and apply problem solving skills to implement a solution.

As for me i sstarted off by learning on the job with a seasoned DataStage professional (version 4.0 Server Edition on Windows in 2001 was my first experience with datastage, I currently work on 7.52 Server Edition and 8.01 Enterprise Edition, ( Solaris and AIX).), havent broken the z/OS or AS/400 barrier ;)
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DeepakCorning »

Good Stuff !!!
Thanks
Deepak Patil

Convince Them Confuse Them .. What's the difference?
chaks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chaks »

Mine is very funny...! I was on bench for 3 months with VB.NET Skills, then installed DataStage on my laptop and learnt on my own and happy ever after.... :-)
sysmq
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sysmq »

hi
i have learned DS from the manuals and how to since the former DS system guy left

so.... i stepped in .
cwillems
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cwillems »

Learned server from manuals using version DS3.2 after becoming warehouse director in 1998 and then joined Ardent in 2000, learned how to use enterprise edition again from manuals after some practical experience become certified in 2004. Have started using 8.1 release at my current engagement.
Christiaan Willems
anshul_roy
Participant

Post by anshul_roy »

I am still on the process of learning. My basic learning process is questioning the forum & trying to solve the questions posted by others, reading the datastage books & stuffs like that. In nutshell, it is completely trial & error as there was no training for me when i was asked to work on datastage.
Anshul
Abhijeet1980
Participant

Post by Abhijeet1980 »

Believe me, many of us learnt from colleagues and seniors but hesitant to admit that.

Hardly, any org goes for such trainings by putting lot of money. Instead, they hire a couple of seniors and makes a bunch of juniors join them and learn.

Out of curiosity, we arrange for some cracked or pirated verions on our desktops and add to our knowledge.

Admitting your fallacy is not crime (but to hide it is certainly).

Kind regards,
Abhijit Gaikwad
Kind regards
Abhijit Gaikwad