Duplicate Posts

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Duplicate Posts

Post by ArndW »

Is there some way that we can remove duplicate posts? This problem seems to be getting worse on a weekly basis Perhaps some automated program that scans threads and just drop duplicates?
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Automating this might be a problem since some people reply to some posts ad might accidently spread answers between the duplicate posts

You can always notify me via Private Message and I'll take care of it (or pass it along to some one that can for forums I'm not the moderator of)
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

How about a rule that if there are two identical posts that are not the last ones in a thread then the system will remove one of the duplicates. I don't mean duplicate threads - just duplicate posts. Many of us have had quite a few in recent weeks, usually caused by sporadic transmission problems and re-posting by mistake.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Quod erat demonstrandum, baby. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You got it! I had a timeout on my first "submit" attempt after a couple of minutes of explorer-twiddling-thumbs-top-right-windoze-flag-waving and then I resubmitted :)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I believe that the problem is with posting.php on the site itself, particularly for posters with high post counts. And I think it's in the section that provides feedback that the post has been made - clearly it gets there.

The workaround is to hit the Back button in the browser when it's had enough time to get posted. You're now back at your message; now open the forum. Alternatively, just click on the link that takes you back to the forum. You will find that your post is there (at the top of the list) but still marked as unread.

When the new webmaster is appointed, maybe checking that is a priority task?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

:idea: Till then you can ask me to remove that duplicate post/s in the same way you ask me to move them from one forum to the other :roll: :wink:
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:The workaround is to hit the Back button in the browser when it's had enough time to get posted. You're now back at your message; now open the forum. Alternatively, just click on the link that takes you back to the forum. You will find that your post is there (at the top of the list) but still marked as unread.
Exactly the same game I play when it seems to be taking 'too long'.

:idea: An alternative - if there are any doubts or issues, once posted ensure you go back to your thread and check for multiple posts. When found, use the 'Edit/Delete' option on the last post and then check the 'Delete this post' option before submitting. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

This option only shows up when your post is last in line, i.e. when there are no replies to it.
-craig

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I usually catch myself before doing a duplicate post, but I've noticed that there are many such posts in recent weeks with a growing tendency so thought that an automated approach might work.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

To resurrect the thread - it seems that these double-posts are becoming more and more common. Perhaps a quick solution would be to increase the time-between-posts limit?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In looking at the threads active since yesterday I found duplicate posts in many of them. Even though I login from different computers (i.e. different internet hosting companies) I still frequently get timeout messages while posting and just hit the back key twice and continue on since I know what is causing the problem, but less frequent users will hit that "submt" key again and get double-postings in the threads.
Is the DSXChange server that busy?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is becoming more of an issue over time. Not only are the duplicate posts proliferating, but much of the time when I post replies I get timeouts as well and since I'm logging in from different systems the cause must lie in the DSXchange site itself. Are others seeing this issue as well?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, it's been an issue for some time now. I need to constantly keep an eye on things when I post and either press 'Stop' if it is 'taking too long' to post, that or go back and remove the duplicates after posting.

It's not consistent either, so I don't get it. It can work fine one minute and then hang the next, all in the same forum. And as noted it doesn't matter where I access it from. :?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I observe that the timeouts appear to occur less frequently if there is a final empty line (that is, if the insertion point is moved to the beginning of a new line, rather than being left at the end of the final line, by pressing Enter).

Of course, this may be just a coincidence.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yesterday and today I have had a 100% "success" rate with posting.php timing out.

Can someone please take a look at this? It really does detract from the site.