RTI introduction

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

RTI introduction

Post by pravin1581 »

Hi All,

I am new to DataStage SOA,i have been assigned with a responsibility of camparing SOA with PX, but as the software is not available i am not able to acces any online help. Basically i am interested in knowing how does SOA fit in RTI and how can we incorporate RTI features in Px as well as server jobs. In what way it scores over the PX jobs , i mean in what circumstances should we opt for SOA. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

This is a length topic....but we can certainly get started. First, there is no "comparison" between EE and RTI jobs.... ...both Server jobs and EE jobs can be exposed as Services via RTI. They both support the RTI and WISD (8.x) Stage types, and each supports the main job topologies for RTI/WISD (pure batch, kicked off via web services, request/response with an "always on" job, or response only where a job is started, perhaps receiving job parameter input, but sends it's output back to the waiting SOAP client). Sites that do everything with EE, and have some great transformation/join/etc. logic in their EE jobs and want to expose them as Services can just expose their EE jobs. The same is true for sites that have Server. Once in awhile there are reasons to use only Server or only EE with RTI, but that has more to do with the Stage types in EE or Server than it does RTI. Mostly I would choose EE or Server for an RTI job because that is either (a) where a particular developer's expertise is with DataStage or (b) because the job is already written and I want to get maximum re-use of existing DataStage investment.

Ernie
pravin1581
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pravin1581 »

eostic wrote:This is a length topic....but we can certainly get started. First, there is no "comparison" between EE and RTI jobs.... ...both Server jobs and EE jobs can be exposed as Services via RTI. They both support the RTI and WISD (8.x) Stage types, and each supports the main job topologies for RTI/WISD (pure batch, kicked off via web services, request/response with an "always on" job, or response only where a job is started, perhaps receiving job parameter input, but sends it's output back to the waiting SOAP client). Sites that do everything with EE, and have some great transformation/join/etc. logic in their EE jobs and want to expose them as Services can just expose their EE jobs. The same is true for sites that have Server. Once in awhile there are reasons to use only Server or only EE with RTI, but that has more to do with the Stage types in EE or Server than it does RTI. Mostly I would choose EE or Server for an RTI job because that is either (a) where a particular developer's expertise is with DataStage or (b) because the job is already written and I want to get maximum re-use of existing DataStage investment.

Ernie
How can i make the a RTI job . How will it be available as web service and how it can be reused.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: RTI introduction

Post by chulett »

pravin1581 wrote:I am new to DataStage SOA,i have been assigned with a responsibility of comparing SOA with PX, but as the software is not available i am not able to acces any online help.
Interesting... I'm curious how anyone could expect you to be able to accomplish anything like this. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Simplified overview:

Start with a regular job.
SourceStage ---> Stages ---> TargetStage

Replace source and target stages with XML-handling stages.
XMLInput ---> Stages ---> XMLOutput

Add RTI stages. These require you to have purchased SOA edition.
RTIInput ---> XMLInput ---> Stages ---> XMLOutput ---> RTIOutput

Publish as web service. You need to decide whether to use multiple instance, and auto-start versus always-running, as part of this step.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

all good.... of course, the XML Stages are only an option, if you want to ship XML to and from the job....... you could simply wrap your core DS Job logic between an RTI/WISD Input Stage and an RTI/WISD Output...

Ernie
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As Ernie notes, as the last step Ray mentions I typically replace the XML stages with RTI stages.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Most of the web clients I've encountered throw (small) XML documents at the web service. Hence my approach with the XML stages.

Beware that this was a highly simplified discussion - obviously there is more detail at each step, and - as they say - the devil is in the details.

A parallel job can be set up as a web service, so "contrasting" them is not really anywhere I'd like to venture.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Of course, as do mine. I realized after I posted that 'my' jobs only used the XML Input/Output stages for testing and that I can replace them with RTI stages because we use XML Transformers inside the job when the XML needs to be manipulated. The RTI stages happily pass along any kind of squirt of information they get.

As they say, the devil is in the details. :wink:
-craig