Job in Running State

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhilashnair
Participant

Job in Running State

Post by abhilashnair »

We have a server job which runs daily. Normally it takes approx 7 minutes to complete. But the yesterdays run of this job is still in running state. No warnings whatsoever. We are not accessing any Databases. Only seq files and hash files. All the files required are in place and have the proper rights. We are able to view data as well thru designer. But the job wont move ahead. please reply
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Is the job actually running when you check from the O/S?

Code: Select all

ps -ef |grep phantom |grep -v grep
Does that show any processes that you recognize as coming from your job in question?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

chulett wrote:Is the job actually running when you check from the O/S?

Code: Select all

ps -ef |grep phantom |grep -v grep
Does that show any processes that you recognize as coming from your job in question?
Yes. The command shows processes related to this job.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Does the job respond to a 'Stop' request? I'm not sure, off the top of my head, what would cause a job that allegedly only uses 'seq files and hash files' to hang like that. You might want to expand on what your exact job design is to see if there is any issue there...
-craig

abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

The job does respond to Stop request as well as reset request. I tried stopping it, then resetting it and then restarted it. Still the same thing.

Regarding the structure, the job reads records from a seq file..Does a lookup and couple of transformations. Then writes the output to another set of seq files.
The job has not been changed for quite some time now. In fact it ran well 0n 07/24. The issue started yesterday i.e 07/25.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then you need to ascertain what changed yesterday. If not the job iteself, then what in the job's environment? Obviously, something did - the hard part can be figuring out what.

Another thing could be the data. Is there anything 'unusual' (whatever that means) about that day's data? Especially looking around the record count that matches where it gets 'stuck'?
-craig

abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

chulett wrote:Then you need to ascertain what changed yesterday. If not the job iteself, then what in the job's environment? Obviously, something did - the hard part can be figuring out what.

Another thing could be the data. Is there anything 'unusual' (whatever that means) about that day's data? Especially looking around the record count that matches where it gets 'stuck'?
The job has not changed yesterday.

No rows are being read from the i/p file...the link is in running state..it shows blue color...but the statistics show 0rows,0 rows/sec. But the file is fine...I can view data also
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

reset the job and clear the status file (using director).
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

That was the first thing I did. :o
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Job in Running State

Post by ray.wurlod »

abhilashnair wrote:We have a server job which runs daily. Normally it takes approx 7 minutes to complete. But the yesterdays run of this job is still in running state. No warnings whatsoever. We are not accessing any Databases. Only seq files and hash files. All the files required are in place and have the proper rights. We are able to view data as well thru designer. But the job wont move ahead. please reply
What has changed?

"Nothing" is not the correct answer. Track it down.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kausikMitra
Participant

Post by kausikMitra »

abhilashnair wrote:We have a server job which runs daily. Normally it takes approx 7 minutes to complete. But the yesterdays run of this job is still in running state. No warnings whatsoever. We are not accessing any Databases. Only seq files and hash files. All the files required are in place and have the proper rights. We are able to view data as well thru designer. But the job wont move ahead. please reply
Abhilash
May be I am wrong..can u pls check the area where the user is going to create the hash file has write access. Did you earlier run the job using the same user or different user. if yes, are they belong to same group, enjoying same privs. Abhilash, you have to be careful while using hash files, if used properly will give you good performance or the reverse.How you are creating the hash file, is it a full refresh? are you deleting the file before creating. if yes then pls dont select the "clear before writing" in Update option, what is the value you have set for caching attribute? what is the groupsize?
Regrads
Kausik Mitra
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

We had the exact same issue. We resolved the issue by executing a small command (like 'ls-l /home/dstage') as part of after job sub-routine

Try that and hopefully that will resolve your issue

Yamini
reypotxo
Participant

Post by reypotxo »

[quote="abhilashnair"]We have a server job which runs daily. Normally it takes approx 7 minutes to complete. But the yesterdays run of this job is still in running state. No warnings whatsoever. We are not accessing any Databases. Only seq files and hash files. All the files required are in place and have the proper rights. We are able to view data as well thru designer. But the job wont move ahead. please reply[/quote]

It could be a locked file issue. Try to run the job with a different output file name and if it works, review systems locks
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

ray.wurlod wrote:
What has changed?

"Nothing" is not the correct answer. Track it down.
I decided to go by our very own illustrious Ray's advice. Set out to find the 'something' which changed between one day and 'tracked down' something very interesting. Not sure whether this has been discussed before. Here is what I did.

Imported the same job from production server to development/test server. Bought all the input seq files as well as hashed files. Mind you...nothing changes here...job,files,metadata everything is same. Only the server has changed.

Then compiled the job and ran it
Here is the catch
The job ran normally without a single warning.
Ok!!! Fine!!!! What would I do next? Ya...exactly you guessed it right

I deleted the problematic job from production. Took the good job from dev and imported to production. Compiled and ran it....You are in for a surprise here. The job got stuck midway through...

Please Don't tell me that the entire project in the prod server is corrupt...Because that is the only thing I can think of now...eventhough I hope thats not the case.

There are a hell lot of jobs in that particular project..What do we do next?
:cry:
crystal_pup
Participant

Post by crystal_pup »

Sometimes the job doesnt terminate successfully and takes a lot of time to complete....If u experience such delays then one thing u can do is to empty the &PH& directory from ur datastage home directory.The &PH& directory consists of information abt active stages and every time a job is run a &PH& directory is added which requires periodic cleaning...I hope this would solve ur problem.

Cheers,
Kunal