Orchestrate Shell or osh

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

videsh77
Premium Member
Premium Member

Orchestrate Shell or osh

Post by videsh77 »

Hi

I am trying to understand, what osh is?

I understand osh code gets generated for every DataStage EE job & one can view the same through generated osh through job properties window.

Can it be the way, if only osh script is written, but no corresponding datastage job there in DataStage repository?

Trying to understand if GUI can provide simpler but strong functionalities, what osh is providing for DataStage developer community?
Thanks with regards,
videsh.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There used to be an entirely scripted product called Orchestrate, from Torrent Systems. Ascential Software (vendor of DataStage at the time) acquired Torrent Systems and created a DataStage GUI that write osh scripts to invoke various of the Orchestrate operators.

Yes, it is possible to create osh scripts without the GUI - many of the old Torrent customers still do that.

Orchestrate (or "the framework") is the mechanism that allows for automatic scaling and resource management based solely upon choice of configuration file. It is this that osh provides.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.