How about a "DataStage v8 Migration" forum?

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

How about a "DataStage v8 Migration" forum?

Post by bcarlson »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I work for an organization that has a 'version minus 1' policy. In layman's terms, that means 'we are afraid of change and will wait for everyone else to convert before we do'.

Okay, maybe that is a little harsh. Such a policy does lend itself to stability and cost control.

Anyway, I really do have a question that relates to my sarcasm above.

Since my company tends to wait before adopting new versions and/or technologies, we like to sit around and watch while others break new ground before us. That is, we want to see what kind of issues other people have so we know if we need to wait for a new patch level or try adopting now.

Our interest right now is DataStage version 8, a.k.a. Hawk. Now, I have noticed postings about v8 in the PX forum, and that information is helpful. What I am wondering is if there would be value having a separate forum for v8 migration? Granted, it would be phased out at some point (when v9 comes along?), but in the meantime it might save some searching and head scratching looking for information.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?

Brad.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: How about a "DataStage v8 Migration" forum?

Post by DSguru2B »

bcarlson wrote: Thoughts anyone? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?
Brad, you are one funny guy and I give you an A in sarcasm :wink:
Jokes apart, I think thats a great idea. As this is one of the major transitioins from Version x.x to Version 8.0, it would be nice to have all issues regarding the transition in one place.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

How about having a "DataStage Migration" forum, omitting the v8 part? This way all migration questions can be put here regardless of whether migrating from:

x.x to 8.0
or
x.x to 8.2
or
x.x to 9.0

bcarlson wrote:'version minus 1' policy
:lol:
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

I am for it too...
Soon the forum is going to get swamped with these topics!
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.