Handling project permissions within the Template project

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Handling project permissions within the Template project

Post by bcarlson »

I think this posting is going to be part question, part suggestion.

The way we do things in our enterprise data warehouse (EDW) development group is we create a project per logical SOR or target and broken down by functionality. So if we have a set of load jobs (from file(s) into database) for SOR1, we will have a project called edw_load_sor1. Opinions aside, that's how we do it. So now we have 175+ projects, and always growing.

That means we create a lot of projects. Now, I know there is a template project and we take advantage of that as much as possible. But one main limitation I have found is with project permissions. I can set all sorts of parameters/variables in the Template project and those will carry over into a new project. However, the permissions all have to be set by hand - the new project does not inherit the permissions of the template project. Why is that?

Now, I have found a manual way around that - there are 3 files with a *.adm extension - these get created in each project and these files contain the permissions settings. If I setup one project with the permissions I need, I can copy these files into a new project and not have to click through 40+ options in the permissions window of the Administrator. Saves a lot of time. But why isn't that done automatically?

Seems like I should be able to set permissions like that in the Template project and any new project automatically inherits those permissions.

Another question / suggestion - Can the template project be administered through the Administrator or any other DataStage tool? If not, it should be. It would be easier to setup common project variables and setting in Administrator than to copy files - we copied the DSParams file from a project that had all the setting completed into the Template project dir. Again, it seems like there should be a better way to accomodate that.

Brad.

ps. Given that I have some questions built into this, should this also be posted in the PX forum? Or instead of this one?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, here is a good place. Have you tried placing the *.adm files into the Template project? If so, do they get copied into newly-created projects? Beware that the *.adm files must be writable only by the DataStage administrator, but must be readable by all.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Yes, the .adm files are in the Template project directory, but they do not get passed on when I create a new project.

I just double checked the permissions on the file. They were 775 for some reason. I am taking off the write permissions for group (755). Do you know if the file is supposed to be executable? I am guessing it shouldn't be, but I didn't make them that way so I don't know why they are.

I'll try creating a new test project and see if changing the permissions helps...

Brad.
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Okay, I took off the write permissions to the .adm files (for all but owner) and it did not help anything.

The new project did not inherit the permissions from the Template project.

Brad.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And it's already an enhancement request (by virtue of being posted here)!

The *.adm files are not executables; each contains a list of group names associated with that particular DataStage role. It's read by dsrpcd when a client attempts to connect.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.