Do you plan upgrading to the new 8 version (Hawk)

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Do you plan upgrading to the Hawk (DS 8) version?

1. Yes, As soon as it comes out.
24%
2. Yes, Q2 - 2007
9%
3. Yes, Q3 - 2007
8%
4. Yes, Q4 - 2007
10%
5. No, No such plan at the moment
43%
6. None of the above (feel free to post it)
6%

Total votes: 437

roy
Participant

Do you plan upgrading to the new 8 version (Hawk)

Post by roy »

Hi All,
Beside the fact I havn't post a poll in a long time (tough finding a spare moment)
I was wondering how many sites plan upgrading to the new 8 version aka (also known as) Hawk?

Please post your plans or reply with another option if none of the existing ones apply.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I was wondering if Roy was under the weather or something, what with no Poll posted in quite some time. And me, I get the first vote! :P

Not sure what will happen around here. Company was acquired and they've chosen a different tool for any future development on new projects. However. existent projects that are firmly entrenched in the DataStage camp? We continue to crank out new stuff and it's not like they are going to want to rewrite everything... but not sure if they'd want to invest the energy into a new version. I'm all in favor of it, but not the one that makes the decision, obviously.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I am pretty sure we will be upgrading it to 8.0 as soon as it comes out. Just had a chat with an IBM consultant here at our site. He is trying to get the beta version for a trial. But seems like we will be getting it as soon as it shows up.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Most of my clients are risk-averse, and will not be early adopters. Even when they do, the majority are planning a goodly period of parallel running. This is just such a big change.

Some of the FUD from IBM sales reps hasn't been helping either. One of my clients was informed that "server jobs would all become read-only" in Hawk. This is an outright lie; presumably to get them to buy Enterprise Edition at the time (much larger commission).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ray.wurlod wrote:"server jobs would all become read-only" in Hawk.
Wow. Thats a pretty bold statement to make, for any rep. And a scary one for huge server edition fans.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's not bold, that's just stupid. :P

Sounds like the FUD that Core Integration spread here regarding anything DataStage - IBM, Hawk, EE, upgrades, everything was fair game and all kinds of nonsense and out-right lies were spread... whatever it took to sell Informatica. Problem is it worked because they found the right ear to whisper then into.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I never did believe in the saying "Ignorance is Bliss" :wink:
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I would have expected the FUD to come from the competitors, not from IBM itself! Old QualityStage jobs will be read only unless you keep the 7.x QualityStage server running in tandem with the new version, maybe the rep got confused. Gartner critisized IBM for lack of consistent sales messages in the latest magic quadrant.

Any DataStage .0 release is a risk, add to that version 1.0 of the Metadata Server and 1.0 of Data Analyzer. Normally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole but in this case they have done two large beta tests and this gives me some confidence in it. My advice, if you qualify for a free upgrade under a maintenance contract get a copy and put it on a dev/test server and take it for a spin even if you don't plan on upgrading for a few more months.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The Information Integration software does not often make it onto the IBM Press Releases page but today the first sale of Information Server press release has been posted: Grundfos Group Chooses IBM Information Server to Deliver Customer, Material and Supplier Information on Demand.

This is a new sale as opposed to an upgrade. Good news for IBM.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
This sounds to me more like a confused sales rep not an intended lie, he probably got mixed up with the new feature (long awaited) enabling read only view in designer of jobs that some one else is working on.

I hope he's aware of the implications such a statement has!!!
ray.wurlod wrote: Some of the FUD from IBM sales reps hasn't been helping either. One of my clients was informed that "server jobs would all become read-only" in Hawk. This is an outright lie; presumably to get them to buy Enterprise Edition at the time (much larger commission).
Regards,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You're a kind-hearted soul, Roy, obviously with little exposure to sales staff in the IT industry. Read Dilbert more often.

It may also be that there was confusion between legacy QualityStage jobs (which do become read-only, apparently) and DataStage, but I prefer to preserve my cynicism on this one.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

This is an extract from the Gartner Magic Quadrant, which will be freely available on the Informatica website Wednesday:
IBM can further strengthen its position in the market by improving on sales and marketing execution. Given the large size of the organization and the significant number of products it offers, the vendor's marketing messages surrounding its various data integration tools have not always been consistently articulated by its sales force, nor clearly received and understood by customers and prospects. Aligning its core data integration tools
under the Information Server umbrella is a critical step toward addressing this challenge.