Daylight saving Time and implications

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Daylight saving Time and implications

Post by gateleys »

Hi,
Our jobs are scheduled daily, via Director, at 1:40AM. In the morning of 10/29/06 (daylight saving time enforced), the job that was running when the time switch was to take place, kept running for about 24 hours and then completed successfully. My question is, when the clock struck 2AM, the server time was clocked back by an hour to 1AM. This would mean that the jobs are not yet scheduled (as per windows scheduler), but jobs are already running (as per DataStage server).
1. What should, ideally, happen in this situation? I am assuming the execution should proceed forward without any glitch since the event has already been triggered and there is no mechanism to trace time and backtrack.

2. Now, after 45 minutes (at the 'new' 1:45AM), will the scheduler kick in again?

gateleys
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It shouldn't, because the first activation should have removed it from the AT queue (or advanced the date for an "every" entry).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

That's what I thought. But, for some reason the jobs that were running during the 'time switch' kept running till the next day. They seem to run fine now, without any tweaks. The fact that there were 4 jobs running concurrently..and all of them behaved the same way, and at about 2PM, caused me to think that it could not have been due to any other cause. Besides, these jobs have been running smoothly for the past 4-5 months.

gateleys
satheesh_color
Participant

Post by satheesh_color »

Hi Gateleys,

Even we are also following the Daylight Savings Time(DLST)...We scheduled our jobs through TNG Scheduler...At 2 Am we set the server time as 1 AM...so the normal jobs completed 1 hour later than the previous day...

Thanks,
Satheesh
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Satheesh, thanks for sharing the info. My question was not about the arithmetic of time. Just need to be careful about scheduling during the cross-over time next year.

gateleys