Do I need SOA? or PX is OK?

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Do I need SOA? or PX is OK?

Post by s_boyapati »

Guys, I stuck with this situation. Before I goto Ascential, I thought to stop by here. My current client has DataStage EE 7.5.1.A license. We are looking to add funtionality to our application to update DB tables by receiving messages from MQ series based queues. We have EE license, Not SOA license. By adding MQ series plug-in in DataStage, can I make these jobs to be in listening mode to accept messages and process the data to update DB tables? OR Do I need to buy a RTI/SOA edition for this. Any expert suggestions, what are all possibilities I have. Like any other client this client MORE particular about the budget and costs. Thank you for your help.

Sree
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Use the RTI/SOA Edition if you need the functionality to expose your jobs as web services. Or if they need to call services.

I believe you will find other posts on this site about MQ and doing exactly what you are thinking of doing with what you have. From what I recall, setting the timeout to zero will get you that functionality. Search.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by s_boyapati »

My main question is this.... Do I need to buy SOA to use MQ series? Can I manage MQ series with EE edition....? I have no plan to expose my DS jobs as webservices. As long as I can read messages from queue and write messages to queue is fine for me. I don't need exact realtime. for eaxmple Get customer details. After I receive message, I need to get details from database and compose a new mmessage in defined format and write back to another queue. The requester will pick the response message from queue after later time. Thats all. Please Thank you.

chulett wrote:Use the RTI/SOA Edition if you need the functionality to expose your jobs as web services. Or if they need to call services.

I believe you will find other posts on this site about MQ and doing exactly what you are thinking of doing with what you have. From what I recall, setting the timeout to zero will get you that functionality. Search.
Last edited by s_boyapati on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Do you need SOA to use MQ? Nope. You've got what you need. :wink:
-craig

s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by s_boyapati »

Are we sure, we can use MQ series stage in both server jobs and PX jobs? I am still waiting for access previleges in cleint site.

Sre
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

s_boyapati wrote:Are we sure, we can use MQ series stage in both server jobs and PX jobs?
Someone else would have to answer that. Server jobs, sure, but I couldn't say for certain about PX. I would imagine you could, but... [shrug]
Last edited by chulett on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by s_boyapati »

chulett wrote: Someone else would have to answer that. Server jobs, sure, but I couldn't say for certain about PX. I would imagine you could, but... [shrug]
MQ available in both server and PX jobs.